Twenty-Two

Annalisa curled up in the makeshift bed, curling her fingers in the soft skins that coated it. In the distance, she heard the distant chatter of the royal army.

She had arrived late into the night, rushing through the makeshift town to find her husband. And when she did, she flung herself into his arms.

They had not left his tent since she had arrived. They had simply stayed in each other's arms, enjoying what few moments they might have left.

A light kiss was placed upon her shoulder as an arm wrapped around her waist, "You know if you're not sleeping you could entertain me." Edward mumbled.

She creased her brow, "How can you sleep at a time like this? We are in the middle of war practically facing death and all you want to do is sleep or be entertained."

Edward chuckled lightly and pulled her closer, "It's the simple fact of life, darling. We are constantly faced with the threat of death but we can't let that stop us from living our life to the fullest."

Annalisa turned in his arms and looked at him, placing a hand on his cheek, "Edward, I'm scared."

Edward narrowed his eyes down at her, "There is nothing to be afraid of, love. I will protect you."

"Edward you could die tomorrow. He could hurt you and you will never return to me and you'll never see our son grow to take over your throne or see our other children- I can't let you do this."

"But it is my duty." He replied, his face turning grave. It was scary to him look like this. She fell in love with her sweet, light-hearted man, not the cold and grave king he was now.

She bit her lip and wrapped a hand around his bicep, "What about your duty to your family?"

Edward sighed and rested his forehead against hers, "Anna, try not to overthink this. Just live in the moment. If this man wants something I can give him then so be it. If not then we are at war but that shouldn't stop you from living this life to the fullest." He kissed her forehead, "Now, about that entertainment, I asked for."

His lips lowered down to her collarbone to plant small, feverish kisses to it. She wound her hands in his hair, "But Edward, what if you are killed- who would succeed you? Would it be I or would one of your advisors take over until our son is of age or would Drake-"

Edward groaned, "God forbid the day Drake runs a kingdom."

She slapped at his shoulder blades, "Be serious! I don't want just a random person taking over you. And I'm not sure I could run anything if I lost you."

"And," he planted another kiss behind her ear, "you won't, as we have gone over. I will come back to you, my darling. If not, then you or Drake will preside over our son as regent until he has come of age."

His mouth moved to her arms, "What about if they hurt our son and he dies?"

Edward nipped at her skin, "Then we make more and you quit worrying about it because it won't happen- not over my dead body."

Annalisa signed, "Ok, ok, I will live in the moment."

"Good." Edward murmured, pulling her face to his. He claimed her lips but she pulled away for a moment.

"But only because you are distracting me." She replied before she let him claim her once more.

~~~~
"Annalisa?" Edward said after some time of silence.

"Mhm?" She replied, stroking his chest with her thumb.

"If I die, I want you to be my heir to the throne. I do not want to burden our son at such a young age. No boy should have the world on his shoulders at such a young age."

Annalisa looked up at him, her eyes trying to read his thoughts, "You promised that you would come back."

"I have to prepare for the unexpected, Annalisa." He said, "If you find being the Queen to hard, I hope you find someone who can love you as much as I do. Drake is a good choice as an advisor. He will take care of you and treat you well. He can help you find another man if that is what you desire." He continued, "But be careful of his drinking. That man does not function well on drink."

"Edward—"

"Never, never let any man over rank you. They can be the King consort but nothing more than that. Understood?"

Annalisa nodded, "I understand, Edward."

"Our second child— I like Henry, do you?" Edward asked, tracing patterns on her back.

"Henry and Roseanne and James and Mary." Annalisa clarified.

Edward shook his head, "Not Mary. I don't think that name should be included in our family."

"Oh." She replied.

"We should take Edward to see your home sometime soon." Edward suggested.

Annalisa sat up with a smile, "Yes! My brother has been asking for us to visit ever since he was born. He regrets he cannot come to see us but none the less..."

"And we need a daughter." Edward continued.

Annalisa smiled wide. Her heart swelled at the thought of having another child with Edward. She wanted to have many children so that the castle was not as quiet as it was now.

A masculine voice cried out, earning both Annalisa and Edward's attention.

Edward threw himself off the bed, with Annalisa closely behind him.

"No, no, no, no. Please, god, no." The voice cried again.

"Move out of my way!" Edward yelled, pushing some of the soldiers away.

Annalisa followed closely behind him, clutching his arm when he stopped, "Edward?" She questioned. "Edward, what's—"

She gasped when she finally got a view of the sight before her. Her stomach suddenly started to swirl. She grasped Edward's arm and did her best to not fall to the ground.

Drake sat on the floor, holding a bloody corpse in his arms.

"Baby," He mellowed softly, "You can't leave me."

The girl trembled in his arms, her hand attempting to reach for his face, "It isn't your f-fault. I... I am sorry."

Drake shook his head, "No, Katherine, you're going to be okay because our love goes on forever, right?"

"I... love you...too." She replied, her voice barely audible.

"That's what you said, Kat, you and I are bound forever, right? Kat? Kat?" Drake clutched the girl tighter, rocking her back and forth.

"Drake, she's gone. We've got to move her before the dogs find her." Edward whispered, putting a hand lightly on his shoulder. Edward watched as his friend shook with grief, screaming in pain as he held his dead wife in his arms.

Edward turned and grabbed his own, burying her into him. "Go on, leave the man in his grief." He ordered.

His men dispersed and left Drake to his grieving. And after a while, Edward left him, still clutching Annalisa to him.

"I promise love, that will never happen to you. I will never let that kind of thing happen to you."