Seven

Annalisa sat up in her bed panting, trying to control the sobs that overtook her body as she awoke from her nightmare. She could hear Drake's words reverberating in her mind over and over. Tears had started to flow down her face by the time she had thrown herself out of bed and over to the window.

Images of the horrific scenes that awaited her the day of her parents' death flashed in her mind violently, suffocating her. The blood. The bodies. The broken glasses and chandeliers. Her stomach lurched at the thought.

"Annalisa? Love?" She heard a croaky voice ask as her door practically flew open, revealing her husband, who had been in the other room.

"I... I am fine, Herr." She whispered, keeping her eyes fixed on the city below. If she could find a fixed point, maybe the uneasiness would go away.

In a second, she could feel his arms wrapped around her, "Annalisa I need you to tell me what's wrong if we are going to get anywhere in this relationship."

Her body began to feel heavy again, wanting to throw itself into the floor, but she refused. He turned her to face him and as her eyes met his, her tears began to well up again. She shook her head, pressing her lips together to suppress her cries.

His lips parted as the realization dawned on him, "Your mother." He took a deep breath, "This is about your mother."

She didn't answer him right away, but when she did she couldn't look at him, "They were murdered right in front of me. How could a child not forget their parents' death?"

His arms tightened around her, "You didn't deserve this. I wish I could give you a better."

"Just leave me alone." she sobbed, pushing him away. His body didn't move. Instead, he pulled her closer to his body and sank to the ground with her. He rocked her back and forth in his arms, "I will never leave you."

"That's what everyone said to me and eventually they leave. My mother and father said that. Hans said that. The nuns said that. And yet, I was left alone. How can you say that? How can you trust someone?"

"You learn." He whispered in her ear, sending shivers up her spine.

Their hearts were beating together wildly as Annalisa laid against his chest. His hands stroked the skin of her arm, whispering softly in her ear. After a while, she started to drift off to a dreamless sleep, but three words woke her up.

Her breathing stopped as she pulled away from him and stood, "Edward..."

He stood also, "Annalisa, I'm sorry, it slipped out of my mouth."

She wanted to cry again— her feelings were so confusing, "Is it true?"

Edwards brow creased, "What? That I love you?"

Annalisa didn't reply as she hugged herself. She didn't really want to know the truth because of the pain she knew rejection would bring. She was afraid that if she found out that his love was really so, her whole life would never be the same.

He stepped forward and took her hands in his, "I love you. I really do love you. I fell in love with you the moment I saw you in that dress, that blue one at the party. I thought you were an angel."

"I love you too." The words slipped out of her mouth, but she didn't regret what she said.

The two of them studied each other for a moment before Annalisa fell forward. Her lips crashed onto his in a more than intimate kiss. Her hands wanted to touch his chest, covered by the silky, white cloth. She desperately wanted to be only his, forever. She was willing to give herself to him. The fear she felt on their wedding night was no longer there.