Ten

Annalisa's eyes fluttered open, staring into the darkness. She rolled over, looking for Edward, but found an empty bedside instead.

She sat up, panic filling chest as she looked around the room. It wasn't that this was unfamiliar to her for he often left the bedroom. Nevertheless, every time he left, she was afraid something bad had happened.

"Edward?" She called out, letting out a sigh of relief when she saw him.

He stood by the window, arms crossed and face scrunched up as if he was thinking. He didn't say a word but kept staring out into the night, as he often did.

She slipped out of bed and padded across the floor towards him, reaching out for his arm. "Edward, please, you must get some sleep. You can't run a kingdom much less live like this." She whispered, resting her head against his back.

Edward stiffened and muttered something incoherent to her. He barely talked to her now. He had grown older to her from the stress. The lines in his face and the dark circles underneath his eyes had grown more apparent.

"Edward....please." She begged, knowing that it was beyond hopeless.

"My parents once told me that if a King was destined to be great, his heart would have to be great to" She started, taking a deep breath, "I didn't understand that at all, so they told me a story."

"The story helped me understand so much-from ruling a kingdom to loving to the end of time. At least, until I was seven." Annalisa drew a deep breath, preparing herself for her story, "My mother woke me up one night, trying to hide me in a hole in the wall. She made it seem like nothing was to happen, and I guess... I guess I knew nothing of a wayward life."

"Next thing I know, my mother is begging for her life- and ours. When I finally crawled out of the hole in the wall, I found my... mother... she was so badly beaten up and so... dead I barely recognized her." A few tears leaked out of Annalisa's eyes, "I stumbled out of the room and around the palace for the next couple of minutes until I found the staircase- it was there I found... I found..."

She crashed to the floor, crying and tugging at her hair, attempting to erase the horrific scenes that awaited her.

She felt Edward sink down beside her and wrap his arms tightly around her. His lips pressed into her hair, mumbling comforting words.

"I am so sorry, love. I know I should not be so worried about being King but I am afraid to mess up, to do something that could cost the whole kingdom. To do something that could cost any of my time with you." He sounded like he was to break into tears also.

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, snuggling into his side before letting herself fall asleep.

~~~~~~

Edward groaned as his body was hit with a sudden coldness.

His eyes opened and looked beside him at his empty arms. He could still feel her body next to hers, but she was missing.

He rubbed the sleep out of his eyes, "Annalisa, love?" He pushed himself off from the floor and stretched.

"Annalisa?" He called again, getting more worried by the second.

"Edward." He heard a weak voice call.

He circled around the bed to find Annalisa curled up on the floor next to the chamber pot.

"Darling, are you alright?" He asked, crouching next to her.

She shook her head, "I think I'm sick."

He lifted her off the floor and placed her in the bed, "I'll get you the nurse." He promised her, squeezing her hand for good measure.

"Wait," She wheezed, whipping her mouth.

He turned back to her and sat back on the edge of the bed, "What is it?"

"Remember that story I told you about that my parents had told me?"

He nodded, raising his eyebrow.

"It was about this warrior who had won so many wars for the King that he gave the warrior, Antreas, his youngest daughter, Tryphosa. The married each other, not out of love but because it was requested. After a while, the King died and Antreas became the King. Tryphosa remained with her duties while he remained with his. Time went by and they fell in love, but while their love developed, she kept a deep secret from him. Months later, he went to war- to never return. She was so grief-stricken that after the next heir was born, she died to be with her King."

Edward crinkled his forehead, "What are you trying to say, Annalisa?"

She looked up at him, "Edward, I have been keeping a secret from you and I am afraid to keep it from you any longer."