Chapter 12

Edit: February 9th, 2017.

I haven't made much communication with Sierra since back in Waikaka. Only the simple stuff: I'm hungry, bathroom break, are we there yet, and driving shifts.

"Are we there yet?" She asks for the trillionth time.

"Almost," I respond. I think. I hope.

"How much longer?" She whines.

"Ten minutes," I say, "the school is about fifteen minutes away." Well, Alex. You better be right.

We do finally arrive at the school, but about a half hour later. Oops. Finally perking up, Sierra takes her head off the window as I pull in the older kids yard.

We get out, my dominate hand tightly gripping my katana, and we slowly pace ourselves to the door.

The school is boarded up, than when we seen it last. People must have camped here. All the windows and doors are blocked off, making it so we can't see inside, and Sierra and I check the doors.

Locked.

We do a couple rounds of the school, checking every door and window in sight, all of which, are locked.

I think on how we would get in. A little flashback sends an imaginary light bulb to flicker on above my head.

"Follow me," I say in a loud whisper to Sierra, as we move our way to the little kids side of the school. We take out a few walkers standing around that we're blocking the entrance. I close the gate behind us once we got in the large yard.

I walk to a heavy steel door, hidden behind a large tree.

"What's this for?" Sierra asks me.

"This, is how we get onto the roof," I say with a smirk. I hope this works, otherwise we have to find another way to get ahold of the others and tell them that the school is out of the equation.

"Why do we need to get onto the roof? It won't do us any good." She whispers into my ear as I search for something to pick lock the lock. I get her to scavenge through my bag for something to use.

Shes digging around the miscellaneous items, but keeps grabbing the wrong tool. "Hand me that. No, not that," I sigh. "No. . . no. . . yes! Yes! Give me that."

"This?" She asks. I nod. She hands me pliers, and I break the tiny lock. The door opens with a loud creeaak, and I lead us away from the door. Sierra is quick to close the door behind me. I find a thin metal pole laying around the floor, and stick it between the door lock and hinge. That's got to keep people out until we get back here.

"Up here," I whisper, attempting to climb the stairs, and a few seconds later, we were on the roof.

"Now what?" Sierra asks.

I look around.

"This way." I say, leading us to a small box, no taller than an inch.

"What's this?" She questions. Questions, questions, questions. God, Sierra you need to visit me more often.

"A secret door," I smile. "Leading us inside the school." I lift the small but somewhat heavy box, and climb down the stairs. It lead us to a dark room, and I dig through Sierra's bag, shine the flashlight around, then head for the door. It was locked as well, to no surprise, and she grabs a bobby pin from her make up bag, and starts twisting.

A couple minutes later, the door lock clicks open, and she pulls the door. It wouldn't open.

"It must be boarded up too." She says, just a tad louder than a whisper. She hands me her bags, and she barges at the door. It doesn't bulge. Tries again. A little bit of movement. I look closely at the door, and tap Sierra's shoulder.