Chapter 6

Edit: January 27th, 2017.

Alex's POV

After Cade requested directions, we left the hospital almost immediately and headed towards Ohai. Though we weren't quit sure how to necessarily get there, we followed signs and rushed ourselves to catch up to the group.

When we finally get here, there's abandoned cars and rubbish everywhere. Sprawled on the streets, in cars, out on top of cars. Just, well, everywhere. I never thought this place would ever be silent. It's too big. It's like having tumbleweeds fly across the dirt in the middle of nowhere. This school was well populated before the apocalypse, which only started not even a day ago, and it's now a ghost town.

I take lead, and drive until we reach Bradley. I arrive at the school about 10 minutes later, everyone else on my rear end. I breathe in deeply, a sign of relief washing over me when I see our cars there with our people leaning against them in the large parking lot, assuming they were waiting for our arrival.

We pull in, and surprisingly, there were a lot of cars parked along the side of where the buses used to pull up and pick and drop off kids. None of the abandoned cars mattered to me besides the ones I was familiar with. I was just happy to see all of theirs. I park alongside the others on the bus zone, and everyone who wasn't Parker or I smile widely, just as glad to see we were okay and alive than we are to them. I notice that Jada looks pretty happy, but a piece of the puzzle is missing.

I don't know what, but the feeling is there and it's pulling at my stomach muscles in a sharp pain. I make my way through the chatty people and walk toward her, and she sadly smiles.

"Are you okay?" I ask, the sinking feeling in my stomach increasing my the second.

"Fine. . ." She answers, then sighs, "no, actually I'm not."

I furrow my eyebrows. "What's wrong?"

"Alex. . . I-I have bad news and good news, but mostly bad," she explains, and saying that, must mean something big. But it could also be the fact that she added 'bad' in that sentence.

"I want the good first." I respond nervously.

"We have more food for us," she chuckles nervously.

"And the bad?"

"Your mom and her boyfriend left with your brother. . ." She mutters. Doesn't surprise me. Not at all. "Alex I'm really sorry. I tried to stop them, but they didn't listen."

Great. Not only has my mother left me, but she took my baby brother with her. It's amazing how mothers like her have an easy thought of leaving their child behind. It's one thing to just up and leave, but it's totally another when you take one but not the other. It truly shows which child she has more interest in, and which child she could care less about. She didn't even say goodbye.

"Is that it?" I ask, rubbing my fingers through my hair, annoyed.

"No. . .Leo and Sheena died." Jada says, sounding badly hurt. Looks to me like this took the most toll on her.

"My brother better not be dead." I say sighing, suddenly feeling mad. "I should've just taken him with no warning or hesitation."

"I'm sorry. I tried to keep them, I really did," she repeats, and I sigh again.

"What happened to Leo and Sheena?" I ask eventually.

She opens her mouth to speak, stops, and then opens it again. "When we went to get gas, they ran off. None of us even realized they had left our view. The boys were too dumb to realize to keep watch, which was typical of them because they're the least trustful. Anyway, we all thought they stayed in the car. When we came back, they were gone. Nowhere to be seen, at all. I ran around looking for them, and I found Avelyn and Emylia. Turns out, Avy and Em we're seeing their grandparents here and ran off after the turned. Leo and Sheena spotted the two, then they ran to see them, and the two never realized there were about three walkers creeping up on them. The walkers got ahold of them, and the two girls ran for life. Cade and I found them, and I gave the two girls to Cade to bring back to everyone else. The walkers left before we even saw them. Alex, I spent hours walking around looking for them until I found their corpses. I hated looking at them, it was sad. And I definitely wasn't going to be a human being killer." She takes in a deep breath, and continues again. "So I left them for awakening. They should wake anytime now."