Chapter 42

Edit: September 22nd, 2017.

Alex's POV

"Just down this bend and around the next left is the ship. Now, everyone be careful, this is a very steep bend and we can't risk anyone taking their eyes off the area. Also, make sure you all have a good grip on the young lady." Curtis explains, after shaking me awake. For some reason, I keep hearing my name being said, like a lot, and a lot of calm medical talking. Not rushed, of out of breath talking, just exactly like one would be talking to a doctor in a hospital for a check up or broken bone. I've been having them a lot since I lost memory or something, and I really don't know why. I just assume the guys are talking about me, but I second guess it every time because I swear on my life, that I can clearly hear Carter speaking to me. Even my parents and brother. I can even feel Carter's hands sometimes in my sleep. Like it's real, but I'm dreaming. Sometimes it feels like the whole apocalypse is a dream.

We've been travelling, I don't know, about an hour, and so far the dead have started following us, but not quickly. They've definitely noticed, but it's like they're just coming to us out of boredom, not wanting food. Like, they're just badly dressed homeless people with ketchup stains big enough to make it look like a murder scene and fall in big numbers.

I close my eyes to rest once again, and a few minutes later, everyone's voices are out of my earshot and the wind picks up. I smile against the cool breeze, and all of a sudden, my name is screamed out horridly. It's Jada. And she's screaming Bloody Murder.

My eyes shoot open at hurricane speed, and I frantically look around for my best friend, only to see that nobody is beside me, and I'm flying down the hill like a rocket.

I force myself to tilt my head back, and see everyone running after me. Guess they didn't hang on hard enough, Alex.

I look around and see a couple walkers pass by at the bottom out of the corner of my eye, and I'm going so fast I'm worried I'll crash at the platform and fall into the water and drown.

So I throw myself off the gurney.

I begin screaming out in pain. Not smart, I obviously know, and I'm fighting it, but it's winning. Luckily I have some leverage, and can keep it a little more quiet. The only downfall is that I'm closer to the walkers than I am to my friends. And, I landed on my bad shoulder instead of my good one. Perfect.

I keep hearing my name being yelled by Jada, and the walkers get drawn to my groaning and crying; these looking hungry instead of bored. Oh God.

The walkers are a couple meters away and I struggle to reach to my feet with all the ringing in my ears, and pain searing all the way down my body.

One of the walkers, a male with dirt blonde hair, begins to bend down and grab at my leg, when suddenly he's tackled and stumbling down the hill.

My heart races even more when I see that Jada took down a walker. Footballer style. I never knew she had the strength in her to do it, but I'm quite thankful. She's never been a tough one and I'm truly surprised she tackled instead of pushing.

I begin to panic when I see that she's still struggling on the ground with the walker she took out, and the others are closer. "Jada! Run! Jada!" I shout out. Can she even hear me? Jesus, I knew she wasn't strong enough. Is it me or is my- "Jada, get your. . . ow! Ass. . . up!" I try to take deep breaths, but the pain shooting through my arm is enough to make me want to switch spots with her. "I'm not worth it."