Chapter 7

Edit: January 31st, 2017.

The confused looks on all of the faces is what makes me sigh. The room is silent after what I told them, and the only thing making noise is the squealing of the girls in the corner of the room, giggling and whispering.

It's a few agonizing minutes for someone to say something, but when some idiot does, it definitely is not what I'm in the mood to hear. "What are you talking about?" Bert finally breaks the silence.

Deep breaths, Alex, deep breaths. No strangling right now, keep your hands to yourself like your GC said and just take deep inhales to calm yourself down. "I'm talking about the cannibals that tried to kill me back in the alley!" I screech, "that's what I'm talking about." Well, so much for being calm.

"That's not good," Jade says worriedly, throwing Jack in her arms when he comes running up and tugging at her shirt for whatever reason.

"I know; that's exactly why we're locked in here! We need to leave. They are getting closer and closer, and this school won't last long if they catch up and see us. We need to leave, preferably right now. No ifs ands or buts about it. It's happening, and we can't get caught up with the walkers. We haven't been around long enough to know how the Zed Virus works." I glance over at Parker, who's nodding his head.

"We do," Jada interrupts, causing me to raise my eyebrows. They've already witnessed what the virus does?

"For sure?" I question.

"Um, maybe."

"Okay, then. Let us test the theory." I press, crossing my arms for a more dramatic effect.

"Y-you are not going to send one of us out there to 'test the theory' are you? 'Cause if that's the case, the theory can definitely wait."

I roll my eyes at her. Even if I wanted to-which I so badly do-send someone out, I wouldn't do it with a bunch of children around us. Plus, nobody here has given me a sole purpose to sacrifice them, except Bert, but he's too much of an idiot that he'll probably die trying to open a grocery store door before checking his surroundings.

"No." I answer simply, but then a devilish smirk rises on my face. "Unless any of you want to try it out."

I get widened eyes and a chuckle escapes my lips. All of y'all are so gullible. "No!"

"Well then I guess we'll have to suffice with just simple questions then, yeah?"

"Right," Jada says nervously, drawing out the word a lot longer than necessary to prove her anxiety.

"Okay then." I sigh. "You said you witnessed a transformation, so how were they. . . turned? Bite, scratch, insides ripped out. . ."

Jada gasps as I continue to trail the words. Well she should obviously get my point; she was a straight A student all through elementary and middle school. "Um, a bite?"

"Is that a question or an answer?" I ask.

"Ugh, answer."

"Cool. So were they feverish, pale, blue, short of breath. . . what? What are the symptoms?"

"Okay, so maybe I don't exactly know what happens through that process or whatever, and maybe I didn't actually witness anything, but they were dead when we found them."

I mentally slap myself across the face. Who was I kidding besides myself? I should have known nobody would have known that. They're scared of their own shadows now, what makes me think that they'll grow a pair of balls and stay near an infected person long enough to track the turn? Parker probably will, Sierra too, but I think us three are the only ones who would do it if we had to.