Chapter 14: Part II

Edit: April 16th, 2017.

Jada's POV

I wake up, and see Parker still passed out on the couch. The sun's still down, but dawn is approaching soon. I yawn, stretching my legs out, and cracking my joints as the couch wasn't exactly the comfiest to sleep on.

I sit up tiredly, and walk up to sleeping beauty, patting his shoulder. He groans, and shoo's me away with his hand, muttering something about me being inconsiderate. I roll my eyes and shake his arm repetitively until he wakes up fully, enough to the point where he won't be able to crash just by touching something soft.

"Come on. Let's get going." I say to him. He growls and pushes me to go away, rubbing his hand along his stubbled jaw. "Parker, we should be leaving. It's almost dawn, and we have to find Alex."

He moans a few more times before getting up. I smile warmly, and he scowls back, making me roll my eyes once again. Always the morning bird.

We grab our guns and the ammunition we put on the little coffee table, then head to the cafeteria. He breaks open all the front doors, and grabs big rocks to keep them from closing. He gives me the nod, and I open the caferteria doors, revealing a nasty and cold-looking Sierra, who I saw few hours ago. She still looks angry and blood hungry, but I can't help but to smile at her. I was really starting to like her back at the school in Alexandra. But now I guess we can never reunite.

I would have paid more to see her alive again. To get to know her better. It was an easy giveaway to see the resemblance between her and Alex, and it honestly pains me to see where she ended up. It also pains me even more to see that Alex must be even worse. Having to lose her best friend so easily and viciously; it's unfair. I never knew Sierra on a personal level, but I did care about her. Maybe it was because she was a sister to my best friend, I don't know, but she definitely could have gone a better, more peaceful way than she did.

Sierra makes her way out of the room, reaching out for me. I wait until she's near the door, until jogging out of the school and heading for the car. Once outside, I peek behind me and see that she's caught up to me somehow.

I slam the car door as she reaches out to me once again, and I look at Parker, who's switching glances between Sierra and I. I put the car in reverse, and leave, not looking back in the rear view mirror.

Alex's POV

I continue pulling up the roots from the onions and carrots and start putting them in the little basket I had found in the gardening shed. I do the same with the raspberries and strawberries. There were all kinds of foods and crops here, and I was so surprised yet even more thankful that I have these uncommon resources given to me right at the top of my fingertips. The people who lived here actually had a beautiful front and back yard garden, which was destroyed by walkers a few days ago, so in result I built a fence out of plywood from the garage and I re-grew crops over time, and the amount of fruit made me in love. The fence is poorly built, but I have confidence that it's strong enough to hold a limited about of dead. As long as it keeps them from these crops, then it could be built even worse than that f a rotten boat with a hole in the bottom.

I haven't had an actual meal in almost six months, but I'm positive I'll be fine living with fruit for the rest of my life.

In case you have yet to catch on-I love fruit.

I grab the basket filled with the fruits and vegetables, and bring them inside. I place the basket on the counter and turn the tap water on cold. I wash my hands quickly then grab the foods one by one.

After I grab the sugar, kabob sticks, toothpicks, and a big bowl to put the fruit in, I throw the fruit on the kabob sticks, then place them in the bowl. I set said bowl aside and make a toasted tomato sandwich with almost out-dated bread. I sit at the table and read one of my favourite books, The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey, which came out a few months before the apocalypse, and start to eat.