Chapter 5

Edited: January 25th, 2017.

Jada's POV

I can't believe what I have just done. I'm so stupid and out-of-thought, that I forgot our world isn't normal anymore. I can't go around screaming my ass off when I have a big reaction to anything. Grow up, Dunham!

I run as fast as I can back down the hill, causing me to stumble and hit every bump and point on the way down. When I land to the bottom of the hills, I start losing my breath, and using hand gestures to get them to move.

"Hurry. . . vehicles. . . Ohai. . . zombies. . . now. . ." I pant. Confused expressions meet peoples faces, until I finally catch my breath, and explain myself rather quickly, words getting jumbled up.

"I screamed, stupid decision, zombie horde, vehicles, we. . . have. . . to go. . now." I hesitate, my head is spinning, and I just mentally punch myself to not pass out.

"Grab the kids," Bert says.

"We need to leave, now." I say. "They can be here any minute."

"This is all your fault," Bert adds. I glare at him, and shoot a look.

"You know, I won't even flinch if you get eaten. I'll sit there and watch with a fucking bowl of popcorn in my hands. And celebrate with the dead after finishing you off." I snap at him. Why is he even here? He's so ignorant and a complete asshole to anyone but himself.

He seemed fine at school, then an apocalypse happens, and he turns into a bitch. I knew Alex won't put up with it. Even though she and Parker are captains, she can ruin Bert quicker than a car accident. She always said, "I can make your death look like an accident or suicide." Now, I wish she was here. And shit, I don't remember swearing so much. Dang it! I just did it again. I've been around these people too much for too long.

Everyone makes their way up the hill, and gets to the vehicles with no zombies in sight. This makes me feel relieved, because I put the kindergarteners lives at risk. I two-way Alex and tell her we're leaving for Ohai now.

"Alright, I'll get these guys prepared, then we'll head out," she says, sounding flustered, if you ask me. "Just don't go anywhere if we're not on time. We have company."

"Alex wait-" then the radio goes dead. "Shit!" I mutter under my breath.

"What is it?" Bert asks.

"Oh, like you care," I hiss.

"Actually I do," he retaliates.

"Alex cut the line before I could tell her."

"Tell her what?"

"That her mom and her boyfriend took her brother and fled," I sigh.

"Ooh, good luck there," he clucks. I glare, then punch him in the shoulder. This is not the time I want to deal with his stupid sarcasm. Just like, hopefully, there's be a zombie behind him, and I'd note the sarcasm saying nothings there. Oh, yes. That's deep. I'm deep. And well, he'll be dead soon enough anyway.

Hopefully.

I'm turning so violent. What is happening here?

Alex's POV

The radio cut out just before Jada was about to speak. I'm sure it wasn't that important, and could wait until we caught up with the rest of our group. Luckily for us, there were a couple vehicles out front of the hospital, so I let the others figure out who was going to be driving what.

Parker, Mason, Sierra and I grab the stash of food and drinks, and I go alone up the few other flights, taking food and drinks from those vending machines as well. I told them I'll be okay alone, but others had second thoughts, and offered to tag along. By the time I reached the third floor, the box I've stashed venting machine supplies in was halfway empty. This food supply isn't going to last us long at all.

There's too many survivors in our group, and I sadly, hoped some would leave, but all in all, the leaders are kids. I mean, we cant keep track of 13 people, leaders excluded. It's just too many.

I finish gathering the third floors supplies, and grab a hospital bed, and get other supplies. I gather up approximately:

20 sets of hospital blankets

20 first aid kits

20 gallons of water

5 wheel chairs

And quite a few kits used for broken bones.

Hopefully we'd meet a nurse or doctor, so we won't have to permanently damage bones up or something. Thank god there was an ambulance, and two pick up trucks to help us out. The more room, the best resort. We have a crap load of cars, but I think it's good with the space and the situation we're in. Plus, not all of us can fit in the vehicle Parker and I came in.

It takes us a couple hours to get everything at the doors where I assist Natalie in pulling the vehicles up, and start helping the others with packing. For no one with driving experience, we definitely don't want to risk anything as of right now. I managed to get Sierra, Mason, and Macy to drive, though Sierra was as corny as a pregnant bear when I mentioned it.

Not only that, nobody else wanted to drive.

As we finish packing the last truck, I prepare myself for the worst: the horde that was teaming up on me earlier.

***

I been thinking about that outrageous dream I had, and I think about how I've been treating Theo and Bert. I guess I'll try to be less mean to the kids. Or try to anyways. This is going to be hard. Really hard. Is going by myself still an option?

I'm thinking about it.

Jada's POV

We left a few minutes after I threw a hit at Bert The Brat. Cade continued driving Parker's parents' SUV, and Bert and Mrs. Greene continued driving the vehicles they were already driving. I went with Cade, and Mrs. Greene took lead.

***

We reach Ohai, and attempt to find our way to Alex's old school, the one she went to in between here and her old home prior to her parents' split.

We reach what seemed to be called, 'White Oaks' which I assume is the area. I don't want to leave, so we need to know. I get Cade to get a hold of Alex, while I scope the area, free of walkers.

"Alex says that we go down Bradley, and that will lead us to a school, with a sign also saying 'South Ohai Community Pool Centre'. She says it's a big school, and if we take Compton to Bradley, we can't miss it," I hear Cade say, about 10 minutes after I told him to go and call her.

"Alright, lets go." I say. I feel like I was co-captain, or if Parker or Alex were the co-captain, then I'd be the co-co-captain, I guess. It feels nice. Look at me, Jada, the good girl at school, not being a follower, who is being a leader, and people are actually listening to her. Maybe this world, is making me change. Making us change. Maybe this apocalypse, was meant to come. Maybe it is for the better of mankind. Like the saying, God gives us what's best. Maybe this is for our own good. Maybe we can fix this, though. Make our world normal again.

But my mom always told me, "things will get worse before they get better," and I'd like to believe that's true. But now I know. Know that everything happens for a reason, but this is no reason to give.

This is hell called upon Earth.