Chapter 8

Edit: February 2nd, 2017.

They're blocking our path and we need to get through. We can't stay here; they will notice us. They probably already noticed us. They'll get their killing machines ready then come after our group. I know it's going to happen, but the real worrisome question is: when.

Will it be while we're sleeping, will it be while we're eating 'dinner', or chores?

"I'll go keep them busy," Parker says.

"Are you kidding me right now?" I question, "That's ridiculous, Parker! You aren't going out there risking your life like that! No. You're my best friend and aren't going."

"Well then how are we going to get through?"

"We'll go in together."

"Okay." He says after a minute or so, and I exit the car, rifle to my side. He's worried; there's nothing hiding it. I can tell that he doesn't want me tagging along, but it's for the best of us and our group. Two sets of hands are better than one and us together just doubles the impact on the walkers and gets them away faster. I know he would rather risk himself than me and him, but if you knew me, you'd know that I'm stubborn, and if I want something, I will fight you until I get it.

Jordyn's had everything we needed; weapon wise. I'm happy we found it at the time we did, because the moment we were finished, a swarm of walkers came right after we left. I took a huge sigh of relief when I saw them. Jordyn's had bullets, guns, bows, gun pouches, bags, grenades, you name it. We grabbed nearly everything it had, and surprisingly, Jordyn's was almost fully stocked.

I put my pistol in my gun pouch, rifle over my shoulder, and my samurai in hand. Jada and Theo tagged along while we told everyone to drive around the horde.

Getting the walkers away isn't a problem for us. The bigger problem, is me with guns. Though I've gone hunting with Parker, it didn't mean that I was an expert, and I don't exactly have the best accuracy, but I can get by. Hopefully I don't accidentally shoot someone in the head.

I take a look at the horde and they're all jumbled around in a circle, doing literally nothing. Gratefully, they haven't noticed the sound of our engines by the time they were cut, so we've made good progress so far. Knowing that Parker is going to be an overprotective asshole, I decide to let them take the side with more walkers than the other. That way, Parker doesn't need to worry half as bad about my safety, and knowing Jada, we can't take on large numbers together. Especially since Jada has never shot a gun in her life, besides the few rounds Sierra has shown her while we were grabbing them at the shop.

"Theo and Parker, you guys will take West and East, and Jada and I will take North and South. In the meantime, you guys who are going around, windows all the up, or open an inch, no more. We don't want hands entering the cars and scaring everyone. Um, what else? Oh, right! Drive around a couple hundred yards away from them so they can't slow you down easily." I say to everyone.

Parker clears his throat and steps up beside me. "I have another thing to add. Once you see them drawn to us, step on that gas pedal like your life depended on it-which it does-and get the hell outta here. We'll catch up in a couple miles. Leave a car about three miles up, in case we get split, and wait for us if we haven't shown. If we don't show up in twelve to twenty-four hours, leave. Okay everybody, let's go. Sunset is in about an hour." I take a deep breath after Parker finishes, and grab a compass, hand it to Theo, and hand another to Jada.

"You know how to use this?" I ask Theo, who examines it oddly. He looks away, then looks back at me. He clears his throat, then says quietly, "Uh. . . yes?" I can't help but sigh. I pinch the bridge of my nose.