Chapter 40

Edit: September 21st, 2017.

Alex's POV

I am in so much pain, I've cried a good ten times.

Freddie felt bad that he couldn't do as much with the pain than he could if he had the supplies he needed to help me.

That idiot Austin felt pretty bad too, but he kept confirming me that Jada and the others will be back in no time with help.
"So, ever do any surgeries personally?" Austin asks, breaking the silence. Although really, there wasn't one. All there was was me groaning and crying.

Freddie did surgeries?

"I've scrubbed in on a few during the apocalypse. I had to. . . amputate some limbs to let the person live when they come in and were bit. I've had to break bones to fix already-broken bones. Rebecca taught me about surgery and being a surgeon since I could talk," he laughs at the memory. Rebecca. The name sounds familiar. It's on the tip of my tongue, but I can't quite get it. "Instead of reading me fairytale stories and children's books, she'd read me surgeries. Instead of lullabies, she'd sing me a song about all the bones in our body."

"Rough." Austin laughs.

"Very," Freddie agrees, "Guess you can say I never had a proper childhood."

I furrow my eyebrows at the realization that I broke my ankle. Again. For the third time. Or fourth? "You'll be scrubbing in on my surgery, right?" I ask worriedly. I don't want any strangers performing a surgery on me. They could kill me! Freddie said that he was a surgeon, and at least I know him. Or at least I think I know him. I've known him only a couple days, after all.

Sure, I've had surgeries before but that was when doctors were easy to find and they were the ones who were professionals and had degrees and went to university for many years. Not ones who know how to do a couple stitches and basic little needs like cough and cold medicine. "I don't know, Alex. They may not let me."

"But you said so yourself that-OW!-t-that you were a surgeon."

"I said I've scrubbed in, love. I'm no professional. You're better off having a real doctor do it." Freddie answers. "I couldn't solo."

I frown. Not just at the excruciating pain I've been feeling for the last twenty minutes, but that the fact he's willing to leave me with people we've never even met before. Sure, I just met him, but I wouldn't just let Austin go. He's a douchebag, but I wouldn't just leave him like that.

Speaking of douchebags, where are the rest of his rats? "Where's the rest of your group?" I ask Austin. "How did you even get here?"

Freddie stares at me sadly, and I question why he's even doing that. Why is he doing that?

How did I even break my ankle again? I arrived at Athena with a bummed foot, and that was a couple days ago. Did they do anything or just send me out like this? How did I even get from there to here? Where the hell am I, anyway?

I have so many questions, and not any of them are answered. Maybe the boy who's staring at me lovingly and sadly can explain. Why is he doing that? "Do you remember anything?" Austin asks.

"No? Why? Am I supposed to?" I raise my eyebrow. What is he talking about?

"I left them. A couple weeks ago, back at the cottage. I followed your friends."