Chapter 1

• Dedicated to Brieanna Veronica Mootrey

Edit: January 18th, 2017.

There's a deadly virus going around the island. They call it the Zed Virus, one they believed was started by some monkeys from South Africa that were relocated to some zoo here in Amberley. They say that some of the side effects are those similar to Ebola, however its contents affect the host almost immediately. It kills brain cells as soon as it's in your blood stream, and starts shutting all your organs down. It's easily transferred through a bite, or even a scratch, if it's deep enough. Any open cuts, scars, hole in your body, a little drop of blood from an infected, and it's over for you.

Unless you're immune, that is. The Zed Virus hasn't gone around quick enough to have any survivors, but what happens to the survivors, is that they come back to life.

After they're already dead.

Crazy, I know.

Though the virus is acting quickly, people still act like nothings happening. This whole virus thing has people acting like it's just your casual flu season. It's more than that, but people don't seem to realize that people are coming back from the dead as zombies. Zombies seems to animated and fictional. Let's call these zombies Walkers.

Children still go to school, and adults still go to work. However, all children and adults that look like the infected look like, either stay home, or if they get caught by authorities, get executed. It's simple, really.

Or is it?

Ever since the outbreak took place last month, when the first victim was diagnosed with the disease, the news took report and stayed near hospitals. Nobody quite sure knows why people are still going to work or school, and everyone knows it just higher the risks of us getting infected ourselves. Having the elementary school kids on the attached part of the school, makes us older ones more vulnerable to the virus, and once it reaches one at the school, it will just roll and continue its way through the halls, then the middle school, then work it's way around.

Our school is one of those schools, which horribly arranged into three different levels. On the same campus: Junior High, Elementary, and High school. All of the schools are only separated by a few hundred yards. I know, stupid right? I hate it myself, but now with this deadly outbreak, we won't have the problem anymore.

At any time now, the principal will receive the call, and evacuate us students to leave. And they expect us to never return. They have the whole situation planned out, but it's the stupidest plan in the history of survival. The cherry on top of the banana split? It is that when we need to leave, we aren't going alone.

Great.

We-sadly-need to take younger kids with us, which is abso-fucking-lutely horrible. It bursts my patience level and will break my control box from those little things pressing and messing around with my buttons. They'll soon find my self destruct button and press it. The problem is why they expect us students to take care of kids that aren't even ours. It's just stupid and irresponsible. Their parents are the ones who should be responsible for their children, not teenagers. Especially when the world is ending. Yeah, no thanks. We should be able to make it an option or not. The students. You'd expect parents to take their kids and go into hiding, but I guess people aren't as caring as they used to be.

Right now, I'm stuck in the shittiest of classes, sacrificing my life for education which will be nonexistent in the next day or so. Completely and utterly useless.

"Today we are starting with multiplying integers," Mr. Jameswood says a loud through his microphone. "I am going to place a number of problems on the smart board, and you find the answer. Simple as that. You have the next 40 minutes." Everyone nods and rummage through their notebooks to find the integers lesson from yesterday. I quickly grab out my review notebook and find a fresh page, my pen in hand.