Chapter 3 | into the case

"Dad, you've been oddly quiet"

Snapping out of his daze, chief Yagami was met with his daughter across the table eating breakfast.

"Hm? Oh... I guess it's just the case" he replied.

"Will you be back tonight?"

"Probably not. We're working on something rather important"

Behind him, footsteps could he heard down the stairs and when he turned to face the noise, finding it was his son.

"I've gotta get going, I have early classes for exam study" Light said.

"See you later!" Sayu replied.

"Be careful, have a good day Light"

With that, Light left for school. Sayu would have to leave for school soon too, and their father would have to leave to meet back up with the taskforce.

"Anyway how did they meeting go? With those important leader guys?" Sayu asked.

"It went well, but I'll admit... they're rather peculiar people"

"How so?"

"They're very morbid, work in the dark, strange taste in food, have a cryptic sense of humour... they're clearly extremely smart and will be invaluable to the case, but they creep me out a little"

Sayu was rather amused, her police chief father who'd looked killers in the face and not flinched was creeped out by two mysterious investigators.

"You make them sound like vampires or something" Sayu laughed.

"They look like vampires that's for sure" her father replied.

Finishing up her breakfast, Sayu had to leave for school quick or she'd be late. Quickly putting her dishes in the sink and grabbing her bag and school shoes she headed for the door.

"I've gotta go, I'll see you when you come back home. Bye dad, love you!" She said, rushing out the door.

Her father was left to finish up his breakfast before heading to work, but the conversation he just had with Sayu made him think.

What was he creeped out by? You and L were just a couple of allusive detectives right? So why did he and the taskforce feel such a strange aura off the both of you? Maybe it was just his lack of exposure to the darker subcultures, maybe it was just the morbid nature of the two of you that would put anyone else off. Whatever it was, he told himself to push that feeling aside. As strange as you and L were, this was the Kira case. He couldn't be distracted by some couples strange ways, especially when they were the ones leading the case.

Meanwhile, you and L lay in bed sleeping in before having to get up for this meeting that would inevitably turn into an all nighter.

Laying on your chest, L slept. For the first time in weeks as this case was already robbing him sleep that he already found hard to get. You made sure he'd sleep whenever you could. The sun by now had broken through the windows and begun to stir you from your slumber.

In a drowsy frustration you reached over and pulled at the curtains trying to block as much as the sun out as you can. Your movement stirred L to awaken, he pulled the blankets over his eyes to hide in the dark again.

"Don't worry darling, I've removed the sun from your presence" you sleepily mumbled.

Now that the curtains took the sunlight from his eyes he shifted, pulled the blankets back down and rubbed his eyes. He looked up at you, you looked down at him.

"Good morning" you smiled.

"Good morning" he replied.

L always looked beautiful when he was sleepy, his wild hair all fluffed up and his baggy eyes held a rather cute tired gaze.

"So, you ready for the taskforce to wonder if we're even human again?" You snickered.

"You find their confusion very amusing don't you?" He replied.

"Yes, I'm well aware our relationship seems odd to those around us. I personally think our dynamic is the superior one, but not a lot of people agree"

"Our dynamic is rather different I suppose, then again, so are we"

You attempted to sit up so you could get up and make something for breakfast, but L's tight grip on you stopped you.

"No don't leave" he whined.

"We have to get up, the taskforce will be here soon and we need to get ready" you replied.

Sighing in disappointment, he gave in and sat up too. Stretching out his limbs with a yawn, he was glad you convinced him to sleep because he felt much more lively.

"I'll make you some tea darling" you said, placing a kiss on his cheek and getting up to go do so.

Donning your signature long black, silk gown and matching slippers you left L to get up and get ready and make some breakfast. L got out of bed, taking fresh clothes from his suitcase and changing from his pyjama pants and nothing else to his classic blue jeans and white shirt.

Looking in the hotel mirror, he didn't do much with his hair. He just pushed his fringe back into place. Not only did he never really bother with his hair, you always said it was cute messy which prompted him to keep it that way.

With that, he went out into the kitchen area to meet up with you.

"Where's Watari?" He asked.

"Getting those fake IDs you were talking about" you replied.

Placing a tea cup of his favourite sweetened black tea in front of him along with some chocolate dipped strawberries in front of him, he gave you a smile.

"Thank you" he said.

"Your welcome" you replied.

One of the many reasons he loved you, was the fact you knew exactly how sweet he liked his tea. And exactly how he liked his sweets and deserts. You never failed to make the best food for him, it was a small detail but he very much appreciated it.

"I love you" he said, taking a sip from his tea.

"I love you too" you replied.

Heading a knock at the door of the hotel room, L leaned over the counter to place a kiss on your lips and took his tea an strawberries to put by his laptop so he could eat as he worked.

"I'll let them in, come sit with us when you're ready" L said.

"Alright, I'll make sure I dress extra spooky today" you smirked.

"You love messing with people don't you?"

"What can I say? I'm a spooky bitch"