Chapter 58 | home

A/n: ahhh only one more chapter!!! It always feels so weird ending a book, I bet the last chapter will be all surreal to write and stuff.

It was a foggy day in Winchester, dark early and a bit chilly. The chill of England was a feeling you'd never forget while travelling and longed for when you got back.

It was quiet, the night meant people had retired to their homes to sleep and dream away the twilight hours. It was also quiet because that shinigami that never shut up and stuck to you like glue was having to find his own way from Japan to England. You warned him that he'd not like a very long flight, considering how bored he gets so easily. And with that in mind he decided rather than being bored on a plane he'd fly himself and stop for apples every time he saw one.

At least you and L has one peace and quiet for that flight...

Hidden in the fog was the big old orphanage behind swirling gates, and right next to it the massive graveyard with a house by the entrance. On the other side of the orphanage, a winery with acres of grapevines not yet ready for harvest.

The small gap is no mans land between the properties consisted of a small wooded area with a playground the orphanage kids often played in.

Wammys house orphanage for gifted children.
(L/n) memorial cemetery.
Black swan winery.

The three places that shaped the childhoods of you and your husband. And places you hoped would shape the childhood of your own child as the land just down the road was available for sale and you intended on owning it to build your dream house on. Close to your dad and the graveyard. And close too Watari and the successors at the orphanage. The owner of the winery let the orphan kids pick grapes during harvest season, he'd been letting them ever since you and L were kids. You planned in taking your child there to pick grapes too.

Finally being back in your hometown felt comforting after a year away. No case has ever lasted this long before, Kira was truly a once in a life time case you hoped wouldn't repeat for the future L's of the world to solve.

It was almost time for lights out at wammys, most kids had already packed up their stuff and gone to their rooms. But Mello, Matt and Near sat by the window in the front playroom in their pyjamas, waiting.

"Boys it's bedtime"

"Pleeeassseee just let us see L, then we'll go straight to bed promise!" Matt begged.

Despite working in an orphanage Roger wasn't fond of kids. He only agreed do work there to help his old friend Watari. But the successors had grown on him, L was basically Wataris son so watching L grow up and then watching him help raise the three boys gave him a soft spot for L's little lineage.

"Alright, but straight to bed. You have class tomorrow" he caved.

"Yes! Thanks Roger!"

Heading down the hall to tell the other kids to go to bed, the caretaker left the successors sitting in the front room gazing out the window of the foggy night waiting for their mentor and his wife to come back. Any minute now, they would get here.

"I wonder if (y/n) is showing yet?" Matt pondered.

"If L doesn't know then clearly not. It's pretty obvious when someone is pregnant dumbass. If L can't see it and has no idea then she's probably only in the first few months" Mello said.

"What do you know about pregnancy?"

"More than you apparently"

"Can you two shut up" Near sighed, knowing they'd be bickering all night if he didn't stop them.