Chapter 16 | just a question

With the taskforces week off, you and L were left to watch through the second Kira tapes and report findings. But once you'd burnt through that in a day as usual, you had the rest of the week to yourselves.

It'd been months if nonstop work, so these few days you'd take full advantage of for your personal lives. You planned to go out with L to explore the city today, but first you both decided to make some calls home while the timezones lined up to see how everyone was doing. L had been on the phone with his successors for hours now, the three of them exited to hear from him again. You? You had your father to call.

"Hey baby bat! How's detective life been treating you?" He said, from the other end of the phone.

"It's wild over here I'll tell you that. We went to a funeral the other day though" you replied.

"Oh, fun! Well... interesting rather, sure it wasn't too fun for the family"

"They aren't as macabre as we are. You should see the looks we got when the taskforce first met us"

"Ah, you're threatening gaze again?" He laughed.

"Yeah, it freaks them out" you snickered.

You hasn't spoken to your father in a while, being so tied up with cases and being married and such. It was nice to catch up.

"I take it L's got some master plan for this case?" He asked.

"Yep, he's already predicted most movements. You know him, always one step ahead" you replied.

"Even when you two were kids he was ridiculously smart. I still have no idea how he managed to unlock the gates deadbolt to the graveyard that one time he snuck in to see you"

"Oh he still won't tell me how he did it and we've been married years now" you laughed.

There was another reason you called your dad, to catch up and to ask a little question... if anyone knew death it was him, maybe he'd have some kind of answer.

"Hey dad..."

"Yeah?"

"You know all the legends about death gods right?" You asked.

"Most of them yes. Why? Kira making strange references to them? Serial killers do like to flaunt references about edgy death beings"

Well... kind of. You weren't going disclose you could see a shinigami just yet. But it does link back to Kira.

"Know anything about shinigami? I looked up some stuff but most sources don't go into detail, Just the same old legends" you asked.

"Well, instead of there being only one death god like other places in the world say there's multiple of them. Some legends say everyone has a shinigami, some say it's just random. Obviously there's the whole bad omen thing most death gods come with, and the fact they take the dead to the afterlife in most myths. But there's debate over the way they kill, some legends say they have spears or bows and arrows, some say they just have a power to make people die, some say they have scrolls they write the persons death on so they'll die that way. It's kind of a blur, translations and thousands of years of history will mess up a few details" he explained.

Hm, sounded like pretty run of the mill death god myths.

"Huh... ok. Anything about them being like invisible or something..?" You asked.

"Nope. Not that I know if. But if we just go off most deity myths they could probably choose when they're seen by humans or have some kind of object or spell that makes humans see them"

Object or spell... hang on Ryuk made that offhand remark about touching something. Did you touch something in lights room that made you see Ryuk?

"Alright thanks. It's just with all the Kira deaths there's mentions of shinigami in Japanese media that's all. Made me curious" you lied to cover up your intentions regarding Ryuk.

"I would imagine so. I mean Kira seems almost godlike in power, but come on, he's just a psychopath human with some kind of strange method. I don't doubt you and L will figure it out as usual" your father replied.

"We're working on it. Done any fancy funerals lately?" You asked.

"Nothing unusual. Although I did have to do one for a child last week, they're always rather sad ones to do"

"Ouch, hope the family is ok"

"Poor kid was chronically ill, they knew it was coming but that didn't make it easier. Probably one of the most tragic ones I've done recently. But, can't escape death. Unfortunately it just takes some sooner and crueler than others"

Words to live by your father always spoke. That  was the harsh truth about death. One day it'll come for everyone, ideally once you've live a long full life of love, joy and adventure. But some aren't that lucky, and Kira was proving to make the chances of being one of the unlucky ones higher.

"Well, I have business to attend to with my dear husband so I shall call you again later on" you said, wrapping up the call.

"Alright baby bat, I'll talk to you later. Go save the world as usual, love you!"

"Love you too dad, bye"

With that, you ended the call. There was only one thing on your mind after that.

You touched something. If the myth and Ryuks offhand remark was right, that means you could see him because you touched something. Most likely from Lights room. You didn't recall touching anything unusual... the walls, the floor, the roof, shelves, clothes, bedsheets...

There was that pencil and book stack you knocked over accidentally. Was anything usual in that? You couldn't recall. You did think it was strange he left his wallet behind, but he was only at school so he probably didn't need it. Something go do with his wallet maybe?

"(Y/n)!" L called form the other room.

"Coming!"

Grabbing your phone, bag and shoes, you headed into the other room to meet him where you found him reluctantly putting in shoes. He didn't like them, but he was going out with you he had to wear them.

"The boys keep you talking huh?" You said.

"Yep, they love to hear all the details" he replied.

You say next to him on the sofa to put your own shoes on.

"They're so sweet, they really love you" you smiled.

"I know, I love them. How's your dad?" L replied.

"Good, nothing new really"

"That's good. These days nothing is better news than something"

"He mentioned the deadbolt thing again. You still keeping that a secret?"

"Till the day I die and we're rotting together six feet under" he smirked.

This man... you're never going to know how he picked that lock huh?

Done with your shoes, you got up and took L's hand heading for the hotel doors to go out on your little date around Japan.

"Don't forget coats. It's cold today" you reminded him.

Taking his long trench coat off the hook by the door, he put it on. You adjusted the collar for him and placed a kiss on his lips before taking his hand and giving him a smile.

"Ready to go my ray of darkness?" You said.

"As long as you're ready I'm ready"