Chapter 17 | the second kira

"Hmm... makeup, small finger prints, long hair..."

"So it's a girl?"

L looked over at Matsuda, who was standing over his shoulder looking at all the evidence from the Kira tapes.

"Boys can wear makeup and have long hair too. But considering it's more common for girls, we will assume it's a girl. Also girls tend to have smaller fingerprints" L said.

Boys can wear makeup and have long hair too? Facts. You'd managed to give L a few makeovers before, usually ending up straddling him and leaning over him as you did his eyeliner to make sure it was sharp and even.

"R-right yeah, but I mean in the context of-" Matsuda stammered.

"I know. But yes, we're assuming it's a girl since it's more common with this type of evidence" L replied.

Sitting across from him on the other side of the coffee table, you had another one of your signature mugs full of tea. This mug reading 'blood of my enemies' on it.

"Mr Yagami, if I die within the next few days. Assume your son is Kira" L stated rather out of the blue.

"What- I thought we cleared him!" Chief Yagami replied rather taken aback.

You knew he wouldn't die within the next few days. You wouldn't let that happen, but still the information about Light still being suspected should be out there.

"Only partly. It's about a 5% chance" L said.

"You and your percentages" you snickered.

"It makes me sound smart"

Not that he needed that, he was smart. The Chief sighed, he didn't appreciate his son being a suspect but he was getting used to the looming presence of L's suspicion.

"What's even on the tapes anyway?" Aizawa jumped in.

"Well... more or less it's the same thing but worded differently. 2 was meant to be played if we said yes, which was just the second Kira saying thank you to the police for helping and demanding L show my face to be killed. And 3 was meant to be shown if we said no, which is saying they're disappointed and threatened to kill me and the higher ups at the police agency. The answer is obviously no, but don't worry there's no way of getting to us" L explained.

"Doesn't that mean you or the NPA director could be killed?"

"It's just a threat, this Kira only needs a face and they don't have mine. They can't do anything. As for the NPA team I doubt they'd risk that since this was just a way for them to get the first kiras attention. All bark no bite"

You did wonder who this second Kira was, a girl yes but which girl? Who? Why? So many questions. Something told you this was a love motivated plan, her wanting to meet and forge a relationship with Kira. The recklessness and trying to lure out the first Kira gave off that vibe.

"Have the first and second Kira met?" Mogi asked.

"I don't think so. At least not yet, there's no way of them communicating yet. None of the tapes dropped any hints. But... that diary we were sent..."

Before L could finish, there was a knock on the hotel door. Cheif Yagami went to go answer it, and you knew who it was before the door even opened.

Because Ryuk phased through the wall first.

It was Light.

"Light? What are you-" his father began.

"I asked him here, if he isn't Kira the he would be useful to the case. I'm gambling on that chance" L jumped in.

"Dad I told you that if anything happened to you, I'd find Kira myself. You were hurt I'm not stepping down from this" Light replied.

What a crock of shit. He was Kira, he always has been. You told L it was a risk to involve him in the case, and he acknowledged that but keeping him around means he can be observed closely. You wouldn't let him touch L, not at all.

"So what's happening with the tapes?" He asked.

As L explained, you kept your gaze locked onto light, watching intensely. One slip up and he's dead. Light of course, noticed. But he didn't want to draw attention or create a scene so even thought he could feel your angry gaze stabbing his heart the most he did was glance uncomfortably at you. Ryuk laughed at his discomfort and turned to talk to you while light was distracted.

"You creep him out (y/n), impressive. Are you were you're human?" He laughed.

You glanced up at Ryuk with a half amused grin, he might be a death god who started this whole mess, but he was kinda funny. You wanted to try and confront him about the fact you were sure he'd been following you, but you couldn't do it in a crowded room. Especially not around Light.

But you did wonder what he wanted with you that made him watch you.

"Show me the fourth tape? I'm confused" You heard Light say when you turned your attention back to him.

"I haven't watched that one yet. I was busy looking for anything in the first three..." L replied, leaning over to put the tape into the TV.

You got up and sat next to him to get a better view and the other crowded around you to watch as well. It started as all the others did, second Kira addressing the first one. The middle section is where it got interesting, it seems this one was meant especially for the first Kira.

"...from your killings for far, I can already tell you don't have the eyes. But I do, allow me to be your sword in this battle. If you accept my offer I can prove to you I'm not a joke ams genuinely want to help, by meeting and showing our shinigami-"

That last word caught your attention. Shinigami, looks like your little frenemy Ryuk has a buddy floating around out there with another human. You felt L grab your arm, and when your turned to face him he seemed exited.

Everyone else was confused, but you and L, we're exited. Your morbid interest was peaked. If you had never married L, he probably would have had a heart attack at the mention of shinigami existing. But your spooky influence made him more exited to it. Eyes, shinigami, what's next a death scythe? Suddenly two dots commented in your mind. Shinigami! They mentioned shinigami! That's proof! 

You could tell L about seeing Ryuk now!

Even if he couldn't see Ryuk himself, the fact the second Kira mentioned them by name was enough for him to believe you. Turning to him urgently, you gripped his hand tightly.

"Darling can we talk? Now?"