Chapter 40 | screw up, power up

The day had been rather uneventful, Ryuk was off doing god knows what while you and the taskforce worked on tracking down the yotsuba Kira. Thanks to Ryuks hint you knew the general idea of what to look for now, and you hoped it wouldn't be that hard.

But tonight you intended on taking a break, so you'd taken your scolding hot shower and gotten into your pyjamas as long gown as usual. All you had on the agenda tonight was relax for once, maybe watch a movie or something. Then go bother your husband to come to bed and get some sleep he desperately needed.

But, you were on the Kira case... there's never a relaxing moment on the Kira case.

"Darling"

You turned from your spot at the shelf looking over the movies to watch to find your dear husband at the door.

"Oh wow, you've actually come up here without me bugging you to go to sleep for once" you joked.

"Actually... slight change of plans"

Oh god, what's happened now? That tone of voice was never good.

"Ugh, what now?" You sighed.

"Matsuda gone and gotten himself into trouble again... at yotsuba..."

Wow... you liked Matsuda and all, but god he could be stupid sometimes. At least this mess up was at yotsuba, so you might be able to get some clues out of this.

"I'm guessing you'll have to clean things up now?" You asked.

"Yep, shame really I was actually going to try and end early to watch a movie with you too..." L sighed.

Walking over to him you places a hand on his cheek and gave him a pouty look. Sometimes all you wanted was to simply rest with your eternal lover, but on this case rest was hard fi get.

"At least come retire to the crypt with me when you get back?" You asked.

"I'm already tired, after this I'm sleeping so long you may as well call me a corpse" he replied.

Well... at least you'd get to snuggle up to him later tonight. Sometimes just laying together was enough to feel enlightened in love. Placing a kiss on his cheek, you found yourself a little annoyed you'd already taken off your lipstick for the day so no stain was left on his cheek this time.

You did worry about this, you usually never left L to go on missions alone. You were always right beside him there to protect each other, but with a whole taskforce with him surely one time wouldn't hurt. Plus he was the world's greatest detective after all, he did know what he was doing. It was just an instinct for you to be ferociously protective over him, he was the absolute light of your life after all.

"Hurry back ok? I want you to get some sleep darling boy" you said.

"I'll fix this as fast as I can and make it work for the case, I'll be back and asleep in your arms before you know it" he replied, returning the kiss with one on your lips.

With the exchange over, he left to go clean up this mess Matsuda had caused. You just hoped all went well, you would have gone with them if you weren't already dressed for bedtime with damp hair from your shower. Not really the attire to do last minute missions in. You went back to the stack of DVDs to pick a movie, ending up on corpse bride and sitting in bed to watch it. But it seems you couldn't catch a break tonight because your beloved husband wasn't the only visitor.

"Alright Ryuk where have you been?" You spoke up, not even looking away from the screen.

He hadn't even phased through the wall yet, and you still managed to sense him.

"How do you do that?" He asked.

"After being stuck with you for months it becomes a sixth sense. Ready to admit you're in love yet?"

Wandering around your room in your peripheral vision, he seemed annoyed at the comment.

"It's not love. It's fascination"

"It's love apples-for-brains. You just don't understand it yet, here watch this with me, maybe you'll start to understand it" you suggested.

Ryuk wandered over, looking at the screen and not being sure what he was watching.

"What even is this? Some dead girl chasing a living guy? Is it a horror movie?" He asked.

"No, it's the corpse bride. L and I played one of the songs from it at our wedding. It's about a guy who accidentally gets engaged to an undead girl and has to fix it"

"What's the point of it?"

"There's a person out there for everyone, and you can love someone even after they've died. No matter what, dead or not, once you find your true love you'll always love them. Sometimes you just need do a little hunting to find that person for you"

Ryuk still didn't seem to get it, but he was rather interested in the movie. Maybe it was the fact he'd never seen stop motion clay people before, or maybe it was the rather gothic take on love but he decided to give it a try.

"Where's L?" He asked, sitting on the headboard of the bed to watch the movie.

"Out cleaning up the taskforces mess again. When he gets back I expect you to be quiet ams not touch anything because my baby needs his sleep" you replied.

"Yeah yeah, don't make noise whatever. You gonna be all tangled again?"

You took a second to understand what he meant by tangled. Surely he knew what cussing was? He'd been watching humans for years, and he'd been watching you and L religiously for months.

"You mean cuddling? Yes. We do that every night to fall asleep. Well... every night we actually sleep" you replied.

"That's what it's called? I thought that was the same as hugging. Why do you even do it?"

"Wow you really are new to the whole love thing huh? It's a comfort thing, humans are made to cuddle. It's rooted in us from when we used to huddle for warmth to survive. Now it's evolved into a way to show affection and comfort each other"

He'd admit it did look comfortable when he saw you and L do it, the two of you were just so peaceful looking when you slept cuddled up together. But he still didn't understand the concept of comfort, it must he a human thing.

"You humans are strange" he said.

"You shinigami are strange. Love might be rare for you but it's definitely possible, when you're ready to accept that maybe you'll start to understand just why me and L are so protective of each other. And why we cuddle all the time..."