Chapter 21 | lights trick

It wasn't exactly a pretty sight having Misa locked up like an asylum patient, but she's considerably more dangerous than Light. Her power only needs a face, and since no one but her could see her shinigami you wouldn't take the risk.

As much as she probably hated it, it was either be locked up for risk the lives of the taskforce. The very limited knowledge of the kiras powers was a worrying thing. Misa seemed dead set on not being Kira, and wouldn't even utter Lights name. She was definitely protective of him that's for sure.

"Salem, could you do me a favour?"

Snapping from your daze at the screens showing Misas condition, you turned to L.

"Anything for my withered rose" you replied.

"Could you run out and grab some more printer paper? We just ran out" he asked.

"Of course"

You placed a kiss on his cheek, and got up to grab your bag. There was a convenience store just across the road, you could be there and back in a few minutes. So you headed out the door of the hotel room and down the hallways. What you weren't expecting was a familiar voice down said hall. When you turned the corner you almost ran straight into Light, and that voice was none other than Ryuk behind him.

It was silent for a moment, the two of you had a silent grudge against each other. Light didn't appreciate that time you basically threatened him. And you didn't appreciate the fact he was willing to kill your husband.

"Salem"

"Light"

If there was popcorn available, Ryuk would he eating it as he watched this soap opera go down.

"What brings you to the hotel?" You asked.

"I called L, surely he explained" Light replied.

You tried to remember, but couldn't. He did have a phone call a while ago so it was probably what Light was referring too. But L didn't say anything, likely to not alarm the taskforce.

"Hm, must have been doing something else at the time..." you mumbled.

Light gave you a snarky look.

"I'd expect a husband to tell his wife about these things. Unless he keeps secrets"

As if you didn't already hate him...

"Oi listen here Kira. You can shit talk me all you want, but don't come for my husband. You're lucky your dad is on this taskforce or I'd have slapped you by now-" you threatened.

"Oooo she's threatening you again Light" Ryuk laughed.

Light glanced back at Ryuk, wanting him to shut up.

"If anyone here lies in relationships it's you. You told no one about Misa, almost as if you were hiding an accomplice" you sassed.

"Don't accuse me" he snapped back.

"Light, let's not sugar coat this. We hate each other, we're threats to each other. But I'm too busy and too tired to deal with your bullshit, it'd be beneficial for both of us to just stay out of each others way. You're a suspect, I'm a detective. Nothing more, nothing less. Now if you'll excuse me I have paper to buy"

With that, you walked past him and listened to Ryuk laugh as you walked away. Whatever he was planning you wouldn't let him do, if it hurts L you'd throw hands.

"Stupid fucking- he's so weird. Too perfect, he's hiding something I know it. Who just reads porn mags like an ikea catalog? Who locks their room like a damn fortress for just that? AND WHO LEAVES THEIR WALLET AT HOME?" You mumbled to yourself.

You haven't been able to stop thinking about that wallet. Ever since you picked it up and the paper fell out. It was the only out of the ordinary thing in his room, wouldn't he need it? Even if he had a train pass with him at the time, still wouldn't he need it? And that paper bugged you. Who keeps paper in a little pocket in their wallet?

A pad of sticky notes in your bag sure, but a random tiny slip of paper in your wallet in a little pocket for it?

That paper bugged you so much. And as you walked back from the convenience store with the normal printer paper, you couldn't stop thinking about it.

"I need that footage from his room, there's gotta be something..." you mumbled to yourself.

When you walked back up the hotel stairs you were met with Aizawa and Mogi walking Light back down the hall handcuffed.

"Woah what-" you began.

"L will explain. We need to get him locked up before it's dark" Aizawa said as you walked past him.

You went back inside the hotel room, throughly confused. Putting the paper down on the table, you grabbed L by the collar and pulled him into the other room.

"Explain" you said.

"I was going to tell you but it happened so quick I didn't get the chance. He called me saying he 'could be' Kira. Which is ridiculous because he is Kira and we all know it... he willingly let us lock him up and watch him like we are with Misa to prove that he isn't Kira since he'll have no access to criminals names" L explained.

You were silent for a moment, gears turning in your head.

"He's definitely planning something. First he tries to shit talk you in the hall, now this? Too convenient"

"Wait he what? What did he say?"

"He accused you of keeping secrets from me. Basically calling you a bad husband"

L looked angry. He could tolerate some jabs at his detective work but when it comes to his marriage he doesn't take slander.

"That mother f- we all know he hates us but bringing my marriage into it is- ugh" L complained.

"Don't worry I warned him he'd regret that... don't believe him for a second you're the best husband anyone could ask for" you replied, placing a reassuring kiss on his lips.

"Thank you, you're the best wife anyone could ask for"

Wrapping arms around each other in a tight reassuring hug, you took in each others warmth. Moments like these where you could just be a couple were getting rare in this case. You lived for them though.

"By the way, I need those tapes from Lights room" you said.

"Why?" L replied.

"Call me crazy but I can't stop thinking about that paper in his wallet. I think it has something to do with everything"