Chapter 27 | pestered

God so this is what Light dealt with? Not a second alone?

Here you were walking down the streets of Japan going to pick up some cakes for your beloved husband and Ryuk would not stop following you.

"Are you sure you and L aren't vampires? Because you look like them" he said.

"We're just spooky. We enjoy the darkness and macabre" you replied.

"You'd both fit in up in the shinigami realm then. You'd blend in with the wasteland"

You'd take that as a compliment, Ryuk didn't always make much sense but at least he could appreciate your darkness.

"Do you HAVE to follow me everywhere?" You asked.

"Yes, since I'm not attached to Light at the moment I'm attaching myself to you to stay in the human realm. You and L are so interesting" He said.

He always maintained that. You and L were interesting huh? Why was that exactly... you'd have to dig for that answer. As annoying as he could be you'd have to really dig for answers out if him, there was still so much about Kira and the book theory you needed to know. And there was no way Ryuk would just give it to your straight.

"Well you'll have to find something else to do when we move into the new taskforce building. I promised L we'd... spend some alone time" you said.

"Ooohhhh, you gonna fu-"

"RYUK- I don't need you prying into my personal business. We're... having a date night that's all"

Ryuk laughed. Knowing full well what 'date night' meant. Obviously in a cramped hotel room where other people were you couldn't exactly have a 'date night' in peace.

"I don't think I wanna see that. Let my play on your DS again and I'll leave you alone that night" Ryuk snickered.

"Fine. Don't break it though, I'll revoke your apple privileges..."

As you turned the corner into the bakery, you had to keep your mouth shut as to not be spotted talking to Ryuk in public. That didn't stop him from pestering you though, he seemed to enjoy annoying you when you couldn't respond.

"I'll stay out of your way. But only for those nights, you're stuck with me until Light goes back to his normal murderous ways. Who knows how long that will be?" Ryuk laughed.

You didn't have to wait long for the cakes, you'd called in advance. Within a few minutes you had your bags of neatly boxed shortcakes and it was back to the hotel you went.

"Why is Ryuk? You always say we're interesting but what does interesting even mean?" You asked.

He was silent for a moment, thinking about his answer. Oh what a glorious moment that was...

"I've never seen humans so... comfortable with death before. You dress like you're going to a funeral every day, you act like you run the show and stare death in the face with no fear. Literally, most humans are terrified when they see me but you didn't seem to care. It's almost as if you're a shinigami yourself. And L... he's just weird. I've never seen a human like him before. Despite being so strange he still managed to get a wife and practically bows at her feet. How did he do that? I don't understand human love, usually it grosses me out but you and L somehow managed to mix death and love into one and I guess I've just never seen that before" Ryuk explained.

So it was your macabre relationship he was fascinated by? Interesting for a shinigami who claims to not feel love.

"Just because we're comfortable with death doesn't mean we want to die. I'll protect L with my life. I'm not dying unless it's next to him once we've lived full happy,healthy lives. I said it in my vows, we die together once life had served us well. And for now, we both live" you said.

"Your vows involved death?" Ryuk asked.

"Just think, someday we'll be buried here.  Side by side, six feet under. In matching coffins.  Our lifeless bodies, rotting together, for all eternity. But only when life has served us it's best ride" you replied, quoting them.

He laughed, amused and fascinated by how you managed to make death sound romantic. A slight smirk grew on your lips, it was satisfying to be so strange and unusual to others that a god of death was interested in you and your husband.

"Aren't you a poet" Ryuk joked.

"I am, now shut up I have to go back into the hotel. Gods what a handful you are Ryuk..."

Heading back into the hotel, you made it back up to the temporary taskforce room and headed inside to find it as usual, dark and lit by computer screens. The mess it was before had been somewhat cleaned as the taskforce finally filed all those papers. L sat and watched the cameras, the suspects and chief Yagami all rather boringly just sitting around doing nothing.

"I have those cakes my dear" you said.

"You're an Angel darling" he replied, taking one of the boxes from the bag to eat the cake inside.

Putting the bags into the hotels fridge to keep the cakes fresh you had L cut you a slice as well. You sat beside him, rolling up your long floppy sleeves so they wouldn't get in your cake.

"Darling when this is all over I think we should go on a second honeymoon" you replied.

"A second honeymoon?"

"Yeah you know, recreate our first. We need a break after this"

"I could get behind that" he replied, stabbing the strawberry off his cake to eat it.

At this point you were beginning to think Ryuk found everything you said funny, as he laughed again.

"Second honeymoon? To have another round of se-"

"AHEM-" you cut him off.

"Hm?" L replied.

Ryuk laughed at the reactions he was getting from you. He found you were much more fun and easier to tease than Light was. The only thing better than teasing you was teasing L, since he couldn't be seen my him. All he had to do was poke him and watch as L jumped out of his skin. Keeping your voice down you leaned into L to talk to him and have none of the taskforce hear.

"Bloody Ryuk won't shut up. Any time I make some comment even remotely lewd he jumps in like a 12 year old boy making a that's what she said joke. He thinks it's hilarious" you sighed.

"Are you sure he's a death god? He sounds more like a dumb kid to me" L replied.

"Sometimes I wonder that too darling..."