Chapter 37 | strategy

You knew what you had to do.

Get that book before Light or Misa did. If they managed to get it first you'd be in a significant amount of danger. The problem was you had NO idea where one of them was. Obviously one was held by someone at Yotsuba, but the other one? Who knows where that is.

Even if you only had one you could still try and negotiate things, maybe even threaten them into handing the other one over. You needed a plan and you needed one soon.

Ryuk was no help, he wouldn't give you any clues. With Light and Misas memories gone they were no help either. Your best bet was to find that book at yotsuba before Light or Misa could touch it, but that was easier said than done.

The first step was finding out WHO was the yotsuba Kira. L was currently working on that with the assistance of the taskforce, but once you knew that you had to figure out where they were hiding it. Then maybe you could break in to get it, or set up a sting operation. Once you had it you could have L touch it to see the shinigami attached to it, it could be Ryuk or it could be the other one you didn't know. From there... well you weren't sure yet.

You'd have to test it to prove in court it was real, even if that meant taking someone's life. Maybe you could use someone who was already going to die? Like someone with a terminal illness who'd rather go peacefully than painfully?

You'd have to sort out the logistics of that when you came to it.

Right now you needed to know who the yotsuba Kira was.

"They have hindered of employees, how will we even sift through all of them?" Matsuda asked.

"It's more likely they're a higher ranking member, since they're killing not just criminals but people who are a threat to the company. Someone in more power would know those details" L replied.

"That's still a decent amount of people, we might not have enough taskforce to work on that" Aizawa added.

"Don't worry, I'm taking care of that"

You tilted your head in confusion at your husband. He has a plan already? Unsurprising. You'd have to ask bout that after this little meeting.

"And once we have the right person? We can't exactly perform an arrest unless we have some kind of tangible evidence. The only team we could arrest Misa was because if the fingerprints on the tape envelopes. And Light turned himself in so..." Chief Yagami said.

"We'll find a way" L replied.

Vague as always, that's your husband. You knew he would find a way though, he was good at finding loopholes.

"May I make a request wedded one?" He spoke.

"You may, wedded one" you replied, snickering a bit at the new nickname.

"Can you print all the profiles of managers and CEOs of yotsuba?"

"On it"

Turning to your computer to do your task as the taskforce continued to ramble on about how difficult this case would be, you drank the last of your tea from another one of your iconic mugs.

This one read 'I survived the Bermuda Triangle and all I got was a lousy mug'. The handle was one of the krakens tentacles of course.

As you gathered the files up, a message popped up in the corner of your screen.

L my beloved: god do they ever stop complaining?

You snickered, looking over at him simultaneously messaging you his true thoughts and putting up with the taskforce.

You: you should be working lover boy

L my beloved: I am, it just so happens working means putting up with the taskforce who tick me off sometimes. So I'm talking to you too.

Oh that man, multitasking only when it suits him. He can talk to the taskforce and message you but not eat cake and read case files at the same time.

You: at least they're easier to deal with than Ryuk

L my beloved: where is he by the way? Creepily standing next to me again?

You actually realised the lack of apple munching or complaining of boredom around you. Looking around the room you could see him.

What was that emo beanplole up to?

You: no idea. Probably stealing my DS to play Mario kart again.

L my beloved: as much as I enjoy the peace of mind when he's not around it also sketches me out when he suddenly goes missing

You: same

Something was definitely up with Ryuk lately, he was still following you but he was quieter than usual. No raspy laughing or obnoxiously crunching every apple in the building. Part of you worried he was planning something, maybe with Light or maybe on his own that would hurt you or L. But the rest of you was just glad to get a damn break, that shinigami was like a damn toddler that followed you EVERYWHERE and complained about EVERYTHING.

L my beloved: tell me when he shows up. I'm sick of him touching my hair when I'm not expecting it and giving me free heart attacks.

You: as funny as it is to watch you jump sometimes I want you to live so I'll tell you.

L my beloved: don't laugh at my misfortune. I thought you loved me wife

You: I do husband. But when you tense up like a cat arching it's back ready to attack it's kinda funny

He looked up and gave you a playful glare for that remark, only getting a muffled laugh in response from you.

"L are you even paying attention?" Light complained.

"Yes I can multitask Light. I'm not useless" L replied.

Oh now he can multitask huh? Typical.

"So what are you going to do about me being chained to the floor every room I walk into exactly? Surely with the yotsuba Kira it proves I'm not Kira huh? And Misa is allowed to go back to work now, it's not fair" Light complained.

L rolled his eyes, already done with Lights bullshit.

"We're working on that Light" L sighed.

"Well work on it faster please!"

L typed something out and a few seconds later your computer dinged.

L my beloved: I wish I could leave him chained to the floor forever. Man drives me insane.

Snickering again at L's pettiness, you couldn't really talk since you felt the same away. You and L had many things in common and hating Light was just another thing on the list.

You: cheers man, I'll drink to that.