Chapter 45 | bust

At the ripe old age of 11, L came knocking on your fathers door asking to talk to you. When you came to the door he said he was doing his first ever case and asked if you wanted to help.

When you agreed, you imagined a life of crime fighting with him as if you'd be some kind of spy. And every so often you get to live out those childish fantasies away from the office where you'd sit and do all the unglamorous work. Tonight was one of those moments.

In pursuit of the yotsuba Kira, Higuchi. You stood hanging out the side of a moving helicopter in protective gear, attached to a harness with a helmet coving your face. In your hands was a sniper rifle. Cop cars chased down Higuchi and the helicopter piloted by your husband was close behind. A full on high speed car chase was in full swing. Ryuk flew alongside the helicopter wanting a front row seat for this entertainment, and also not wanting to miss what you and L would do.

The plan using Matsuda as bait on Sakura TV went perfectly, and how Higuchi was attempting to make a getaway and driving across Tokyo like a maniac having killed two people in the process. You stood by, waiting for the perfect moment, waiting for your husbands signal.

Light was in the helicopter next to him, in order to be kept at arms length. He couldn't get his hands on this death note, that was your job. So L was watching him closely. Hooked up to a headset and mic you could hear the police down in the cars communicating their whereabouts and the details of the chase, L was on that same radio wave and listened in too.

Swerving onto a highway Higuchi lead the police on a chase in that direction, some of the cops taking a different route to try and cut him out. An unusual sight for a highway was it being empty, but since this car chase was all over the news at the moment the highway was pretty cleared out as pedestrians knew it was dangerous to be in the area. But for you this was your chance.

"Take out the front tire, there's room and no civilians around here" L told you through the headset.

"Roger that honey" you replied.

Watari was the one who taught you how to shoot. After a case with L went slightly sideways, he decided to teach you how to handle guns in case you ever had to jump in to protect L. You leant from a trained sniper, so you knew what you were doing. Bringing the gun up, looking through the scope you positioned your aim.

"I'm going to shoot, fall back a bit so there's no crashes" you told the police through the headset.

Pretty quickly the mob of police cars behind Higuchi fell back a bit in distance. The area was clear, the road was empty apart from the the suspect and the police. Taking aim slightly in front of the car, the car will keep driving right into the bullet by the time the bullet got to the aimed spot. Locked and loaded.

You secured your aim, pulled the hammer back and...

BANG!

The front tire burst, the car swerved and the driver lost control. Desperately trying to stop a crash he slammed the breaks and the car swerved, stopping right before hitting a road divider.

"She shoots, she scores ladies, gentleman and not of the binary participants. Well done darling" L praised you.

"Why thank you darling" you replied.

Police catching up to and surrounding Higuchi there was no way for him to escape now. The helicopter came to a hover over the scene, it'd land once the ground was safe and secured for it.

"Phase two Salem, you know what to do" L said.

"No need to wish me luck, I've got this"

This was always your favourite part, getting to slide down the rope of the harness out of the helicopter like in some kind of movie. Secured and safely able do to so you jumped from the helicopter and slid down the rope landing with a slight thud against the road. You bought the gun back up at the car, just in case.

"Higuchi, you're surrounded there's no use trying to escape. Step out of the vehicle with your arms up" the police called to him from a megaphone.

Slowly but surely he did so, unable to make out anyone's face as those around him wore helmets and those in the cars were behind tinted glass. Slowly you approached him with your gun still drawn, if he cooperated you wouldn't have to use it.

"Give it up Higuchi, you know you're caught" you said.

He didn't reply, just shot an evil glare at you. Clearly he wasn't pleased about being caught.

"Cooperate and we won't have any trouble ok? Now you need to step away from the ca-"

"SALEM HE HAS A GUN!"

It happened in a matter of seconds, L's view from the helicopter meant he could see everything from above including the handgun in his back pocket. L's warning was what saved you, even with protective gear there's no telling what damage a bullet would do. Thinking fast, as Higuchi grabbed his gun from his back pocket to try and shoot at you, you shot first.

Not to kill, to disarm. Thank Watari for his training he gave you because you didn't miss the shot even in the high speed situation. The bullet hit his hand making him drop the gun and it went flying across the road. Bleeding from his hand, the police around you took the chance while he was weak to surround him and pin him down. Blindfolding him, and handcuffing him behind his back as he struggled against them.

This was your opening, get into the car, get the death note.

"That almost gave me a goddamn panic attack, you ok darling?" L asked.

"I'm fine, I was trained for this remember? I'm getting the goods" you replied.

By now the helicopter had made its landing, and L watched you as you rushed into the car and began to dig around for the stupid little book that caused this problem in the first place. Under his briefcase on the passenger seat you found it.

"Bingo"

The letting on the front wasn't English, but it was clearly a death note. In order to prevent anyone from touching it just yet, especially Light, you placed it in a plastic evidence bag you had with you just for it and unzipped the front of your gear to shove it down your shirt so no one would even try and touch it.

The only one allowed to touch down your shirt is yourself... and L.

Once secured, you quickly checked the car for anything else death note related but found nothing.

"Got it, I'm coming back" you told L.

"Impressive as always, be careful" he replied.

Climbing back out the car, you watched as the police wrapped up the gunshot wound to Higuchis hand as they arrested him. Mission success. Turning to head back to the helicopter, you stopped in your tracks almost having a damn heart attack yourself when you were met face to face with not Ryuk, but another shinigami.

That's right... this Death Note wasn't connected to Ryuk. It was Rem. You'd only ever heard about her from Ryuk so you had no idea what she'd end up looking like until now. About the same height as Ryuk, but instead of black and grey with a pink look she was basically a skeleton with a bandage over the eye and dip dyed hair. You knew you couldn't talk to her or react to her while you were surrounded by police, but the prolonged eye contact you shared gave the clear message that you could see each other and wanted a conversation later on.

"You ok?"

You snapped out of your daze when you heard L's voice through the headset.

"Oh- yeah. Just thought I saw something that's all" you said.

He knew what that meant, he knew full well you could see the other shinigami now. And as you climbed back into the helicopter with the death note down your shirt, he was eager to reach down there and touch it himself to see Rem too.

First time he'd wanted to reach down your shirt for reasons other than... well, you know.

He'd get to touch that death note as soon as you got back to taskforce when the coast was clear. The fact you had the book meant Rem would be following you now, so you had Rem and Ryuk on your tail. But you'd have to worry about that later, you had an arrest to watch.

"You're incredible darling, well done" L complimented.

"Thank you my dear, I do what I can"