❦Chapter 2❦

𒊹︎Your POV𒊹︎

I woke up early the next morning, as usual, and helped Faline get dressed. I gave her one of the tomatoes, slicing it up in wedges for her (making sure to cut around the moldy bits), and a large chunk of bread. I ate a small chunk of the bread, and dusted the crumbs off of my hands and tunic as I gathered the things we would need for today.

I grabbed my sword and secured the holster on my back. My sword is a curvy piece of Vibranium, that comes from Midgard. It is sturdy, the strongest metal to exist, and it has a (birthstone) on the handle, that when pressed, extends the sword into a deadly whip(1). I managed to buy this sword off of a traveling merchant, for a price that was so high I don't care to elaborate.

I emptied the food cabinet, which only consisted of a crumb of bread, and a tomato, and put them in my satchel, along with other miscellaneous things that i always carried: a pocket knife, a ribbon(for Faline or I's hair), and a few shells that Faline claimed had good luck.

After Faline was done eating, I helped her knot her dark cloak around her, doing the same with mine. Today the sky was cloudy, and the sun must have been frowning.

I helped Faline onto Bezos' back, and led them into one of the villages of the outskirts of Asgard, hoping to find food and other rations there. There was an eerie silence that hung over the congregation, and I kept my guard up as I pulled the hood of my cloak down, making sure my peripheral vision was not obstructed by it.

Once I deemed it safe, I let Faline slide off of Bezos, and tied him to a support rail of an abandoned porch.

"Is this place abandoned, too?" Faline asked as she kicked up rocks, lagging behind me slightly.

"Yes....yes it is. Stay close." I paced backwards and pulled her with me, trying doors until I reached an unlocked one.

Faline was occupying herself with something at the house's kitchen table, when I heard it. The sound of heavy, slow footfalls, accompanied by the rapid secession of breathing. Some sort of dog. I dismissed it, and pulled Faline out of the house, in the middle of moving onto the next when I heard Faline speak.

"Tell me about the doggy." Faline sounded giddy.

I turned around, to be met with a hulking canine. All color drained from my face when I heard the sizzle of the weeds between the cobblestone being burnt to ash. This was no dog, this was a hellhound(2).

My breathing became raged as I drew my sword from my back slowly.

"Faline...move to your left slowly. Keep being until you touch a wall." I directed her quietly and calmly, not wanting her anywhere near this beast, and also not wanting to provoke it.

She did as I said, and I kept directing her until she was standing right next to Bezos. The hellhound wanted her every move, but was still in the same spot. I made a wide circle around behind the houses, making it to Faline and Bezos slowly.

I lifted Faline onto Bezos, him taking sporadic breaths, already knowing a threat when one presented itself.

"Faline, I need you to hold on as tight as you can. Bezos will take you somewhere safe." I gulped, and once I saw that she was gripping onto the reigns, I lifted my dominant hand up.