❦Chapter 17❦

𒊹︎Third Person POV𒊹︎︎

After (Y/n) had screamed at the top of her lungs for everyone to get down, a huge blast of fire and smoke was hurtling towards the group. (Y/n) was able to get down in time to not be hit with the blast, but the same could not have been said for the rest.

A couple members of the group were bucked off by their steeds, and the horses ran deeper into the woods, scattering. (Y/n) ran towards the rest of the group, helping everyone that she could. A flash of doubt crossed the girl's mind as she drew her sword, spinning around quickly, looking for whatever hit them, although there was no question as to what the beast was.

The loud sound of splintering wood was heard all around, and a few trees fell, which the other narrowly missed.

"We need to get back to the palace." Fandral's nervous voice broke the eerie silence, and many others agreed with him, but not (Y/n).

"Fandral's right. There's no way we can kill that thing." Loki joined Fandral's side, and the blonde haired prince shook his head firmly.

"We cannot lead it back to the palace. Thousands will die if we leave it to roam free." Thor's voice was desperate as he summoned Mjöllnir.

"Thor's right. If we lead it to the palace, that will put the King and Queen's life at stake. We have to kill it." The feisty(h/c) haired girl spoke up, her chest rising and falling rapidly with adrenaline.

"And you'll die if you stay here, I can't let you do that." The raven haired prince remained firm.

"What a hel of a way to die, then." She scowled, and whipped around when the breathing of a large animal was heard.

Thor stood by her side, his hammer at the ready. Loki grumbled as he took his place on the other side of her, his weapons at the ready. Soon, the entire group was in a circular formation, their backs to each other as the beast circled them.

"I hate to interrupt, but do we have a plan of action here?" Loki asked as he kept his eyes on the rusting treetops.

Just as Sif was about to reply, the dragon lept out into the open, smashing down everything in its way to make a large clearing.

(Y/n stared into the beast's eyes, and they held eye contact for a few seconds. The beast looked at her with a look that almost seemed to ask for help, but was quickly replaced with anger.

"We never have one!" Sif yelled as Thor suddenly leapt at the reptile.

The rest of the members followed suit, and soon, people were being thrown around like rag dolls. Thor managed to hit the beast, as the others only struggled to get close to it. (Y/n), however, felt conflicted about it hurting the dragon. A strange tug was felt inside of her chest, and her brain told her not to hurt it. Nevertheless, she still 'attacked' the beast, but made sure not to leave anything more than a paper cut behind.

The girl noticed a strange pattern of the beast very quickly. It seemed as though it only nudged (Y/n) aside, whereas it pitched the others. She also noticed that it flung Loki with terrifying force, almost as if it hated him in particular.

There was a pause in the battle once both parties realized that they were at a stand still. The dragon's scales were too thick to do too much damage, and he group of warriors kept getting back up. Thor took advantage of the dragon being still, and hurled his hammer at the side of the dragon's face.

𒊹︎Your POV𒊹︎

I saw the hammer hit the dragon's face in slow motion. I registered the fear in its larger fiery eyes, and something snapped inside of me as the dragon was sent flying into the air, landing somewhere far, far away. The group rejoiced, but panic and hurt arose in my chest.

I was the first one to rush off towards the direction of the dragon. It was almost as if I knew where it was exactly, before I even saw it directly. I approached its head slowly. It was still breathing, but it's eyes were barley open. As I walked the length of its body, I noticed it's markings on its sides, which I soon realized were battle scars. My heart ached for the animal, and when I finally reached its head, I made sure that it saw me throw my weapon far away from me.

It's almost like it's body relaxed at that, and I came closer to the fiery animal. It's breathing was labored, and it remained still, watching me closely as I sat on the ground a few feet away from it. I didn't make any move to get closer. It felt as if I was drawn to the creature. I scooted closer to it, and it made not attempt to move.

I hesitantly reached my hand out to touch it, and was shocked when it not only remained still, but it's skin wasn't hot to the touch.

When my hand came in contact with scales, a million images flashed before my eyes. Pictures of a dragon in many different stages of life, pictures of war, chains, and an egg. That's when it hit me, this dragon's life was flashing before my eyes. I watched the same dragon before me huddle around an egg. I also watched that same egg hatch, grow, and then be slaughtered by Asgardian warriors.

I gasped and yanked my hand away, tears falling freely down my face.

"Oh no." My voice was shaky, and I reached out for the dragon again, and this time, it sought out my touch.

I could hear the footfalls of many pairs of feet approaching me quickly, along with the sound of my name being shouted.

"You have to get out of here, they'll kill you!" I whispered to the dragon, but it just rolled its head towards me.

My eyes were locked with the dragon's when I was ripped away from it, roughly being held back.

"NO! DONT KILL HER! PLEASE!" I screamed as Loki raised his sword over the dragons neck.

"She....?" Thor asked, he was the one holding me back.

"She won't hurt you, she's grieving. That other fire dragon, that was her baby." Tears rushed down my cheeks as I tried to reason with them.

"(Y/n), I love you.......but that isn't true." He stared coldly into my eyes, and I started to breathe heavier, on the verge of a panic attack.

"Please....please, Loki. You can't kill her......I'll never forgive you." I whispered the last part just as he had his sword ready to strike again.

He paused, and after a minute or so, of him most likely having an internal battle with himself, he sheathed his sword, and turned back to me. Thor let me go, and I rushed past Loki and to the dragon. She was starting to regain some of her strength now, and now was able to lift her head up off the ground.

I didn't hesitate to grasp her neck in a hug. When my cheek touched her hard and warm scales, an emotion so strong sighed upon my shoulders that I had to rely on her for support. I tried to regulate my breathing to keep from screaming as my head pounded, and my legs threatened to give out.

"She's....she can't possibly be..." Hogun's started voice was the only one heard, and she approached the dragon, but it growled at him.

"Does anyone remember that fairy tail that they red to us when we were young? The one about the dragon whisperer?" He turned around, looking for confirmation.

"But that story was made up, there's no way someone can actually read the minds of dragons." Fandral argued from his place beside Volstagg.

"No fairy tales are completely made up of lies..."