20

"I apologize, I was needed elsewhere for a few."

"That's fine. You're here now, right?" You grinned brightly. Barbatos chuckled at your bright demeanor. He rubbed the top of your head, mostly aiming for the cat ears. You jolted, snatching his hand.

"Oi, no touching!" You hissed. He merely smiled at your reaction.

Asmo snickered at Satan's face. He was practically shining in awe as he peered at your form.

"Anyway," You took his hand and intertwined it with yours. You gently grasped his fingers as you lead him to the dance floor. "We're off..."

"I'm surprised you actually agreed to dance with me."

"I'm not quite sure what you mean. If you asked for something, I'd be glad to grant it." He twirled your body around. You swayed alongside him. "I'd be happier if you grant my requests only when you're willing. If you don't want to do it, then you might as well not do it, you know? You're not required to."

"Hm? Who ever said I was being forced to follow you?"

"... You're too kind to me, Barb." You laughed. The butler smiled happily. "I could say the same to you."

The two of you didn't speak. You were focused on your steps. Back then, Barbatos was also the one who taught you to dance formally.

You removed your eyes from your foot, trailing up to look at your intertwined fingers. His hands felt warm...

You unconsciously tightened your grip. Something you didn't notice was the focused expression he held. He was deep in thought.

He exhaled. His eyes switched back onto you. You locked your gaze with his. He was ready to talk.

"(M/n)."

"Hm?"

"You've experienced loving someone before, right?"

You squeezed his hand, only to loosen your grip just as quick. You closed your eyes as your body swayed. He gracefully lead you.

"...I'm not sure where this is coming from, but I suppose so."

"Then..." He paused. "If you know you've truly fallen for someone, would you be willing to do just about anything to keep them safe?"

"Of course."

"Even if they disagree with your methods?"

"...Mhm."

"Even if it means you'll hurt them?"