CHAPTER 9: THE HEARTS OF OTHERS

Lin Qiushi had heard cries of agony before, but the plaintive screams that assailed his ears tonight sounded rather different, somewhat peculiar. The yells were accompanied by the sound of heavy objects falling to the ground, followed by booming roars of fury and lurid profanity. He could even hear someone scrambling through the corridor. Miserable cries for help flew from the person's mouth.

"Ahh! Save me! Help! Someone's trying to kill me! Save me—" The voice was a bit familiar. Lin Qiushi recognized it and determined that it belonged to one of the girls on the team. She screamed at the top of her lungs, her hoarse voice made it seem as though she had exhausted all of her strength.

Lin Qiushi wasn't sure if the voice was real or if it was merely his imagination. His breathing became increasingly chaotic as those screams grew louder and louder, nearer and nearer.

"Help—" The one who was shrieking seemed to have reached the second floor. She frantically ran down the corridor and relentlessly banged on every single door in this hallway. "Someone wants to kill me! Save me! I ask of you to open the door!! Please, I beg of you, open the door—"

Alas, her pleas went unanswered, for there wasn't the slightest sound of a door opening. Everyone seemed to have fallen into a deep sleep; they just couldn't hear these ear-piercing cries for help.

Lin Qiushi remained on his bed. He never stirred from his spot until the person seeking help finally arrived at his door.

"Help! Help me!" bawled the young woman as she wildly slammed her palms against the door. "Please open this door! He's crazy, he wants to kill me! I beg of you, please, I beg of you—I don't want to die! I beg of you, please save me!!!"

Lin Qiushi slowly sat up from the bed, but he didn't move after that. He solemnly contemplated whether he should open the door.

Ruan Baijie, who should've been sleeping soundly at his side, softly whispered, "Do you wish to save her?"

Lin Qiushi responded with a question of his own. "Can I save her?"

Ruan Baijie blinked a couple of times. After a moment of silence, she replied, "If you'd like to."

Lin Qiushi felt that there was a big possibility the voice outside belonged to a human. Seeing that Ruan Baijie didn't intend to stop him, he swiftly shot up from the bed and bolted to the door. Clenching his teeth hard, he unlocked it then pulled it open.

This door opened up to a gruesome scene that nearly startled him out of his wits. The young woman who called for help was drenched in blood from head to toe. She wailed as she clutched her wounded arm with her other hand. Upon seeing Lin Qiushi open the door, she hysterically threw herself onto him. "Help—s-s-save me!"

Lin Qiushi asked, "What happened?"

"He wants to kill me!" The girl cried loudly. "He wants to kill me!!!"

Lin Qiushi shifted back, stepping aside to allow her into the room. "Who wants to kill you?"

The girl revealed, "Cheng Wen!"

This name barely left an impression on Lin Qiushi. It appeared to be the name of one of the males in this group. He still wanted to ask more questions, but he then heard a sharp noise coming from the stairway; it was the sound of an object smashing against the door. Situated between the first floor and the second floor was a shabby wooden door that would normally be closed when it was time for everyone to go to bed. It was most likely this door that saved the life of the girl before him.

Lin Qiushi quickly motioned for her to come into the room then casually locked the door behind him.

Spasmodic sobs wracked the young woman's body, and she trembled violently. Pure terror was prevalent in her wide eyes.