CHAPTER 11: THE WOMAN

The others didn't seem to find anything off about Wang Xiaoyi. Instead, they focused their attention on the corpse in front of them.

"Great. I didn't expect to find a dead body this fast." Xiong Qi praised Lin Qiushi's good luck. "I thought we'd be spending the entire night outside."

"Come on. Let's take the corpse back." Upon seeing the dead body, Cheng Wen calmed down and his mood stabilized. He bent forward and spat disgustingly on the ground. Engulfed by a passionate hatred, he murderously glared at Wang Xiaoyi. "Consider your life saved for now."

Wang Xiaoyi yelped in fear and tried to hide behind Lin Qiushi's back. But this time, Lin Qiushi didn't allow her to take cover behind him. He quickly grabbed ahold of Wang Xiaoyi's wrist and said, "Don't be afraid of him, we're right here next to you. Are you that sick in the head, Cheng Wen? Why on earth would you scare a woman?"

Cheng Wen snarled, "She definitely isn't human, I've seen it all!" He seemed to have some mental problems; his moods fluctuated so fast, he was easily provoked and he was prone to bouts of anger. But, in any case, he no longer threatened Wang Xiaoyi after Lin Qiushi stated his piece. He simply lowered his head and, together with Xiong Qi, he began digging up the corpse in the snow.

The dead body was frozen stiff from being in the snow for a few days, but its appearance was as before; the area where the abdomen was supposed to be connected to the waist was severed, and the spilling viscera and spine was fully exposed for all to see. Such a gruesome sight was beyond hair-raising.

If Lin Qiushi had witnessed this scene the very moment he arrived to this world, he surely would've puked his guts out. But after spending so many days here fortifying himself with experience, Lin Qiushi gazed at this scene calmly; his heart didn't give rise to the slightest palpitations. As a matter of fact, he even wanted to examine it from a closer range.

"How should we take it back?" Xiao Ke raised this question. "Should we carry it?"

"We'll drag it back." Xiong Qi answered. "Even though we're being very disrespectful to the dead by doing so, it's still better than risking the lives of the living and creating two more deaths."

Perhaps carrying the dead wouldn't pose a great issue in the real world, but the worlds inside these doors were more than unnatural. Who knew whether these dead bodies would all of a sudden come back to life.

"Alright." Lin Qiushi nodded in approval.

Thereupon, the two men securely tied the dead body with rope, then placed a plank they'd brought with them underneath the corpse, forming a simple makeshift sled that they could conveniently drag down the snowy mountain.

"Let's go." After setting everything up, Xiong Qi and Lin Qiushi pulled the corpse from either side and trudged down the mountain path with the dead body. The ladies walked up front. While lugging the corpse, Lin Qiushi swept his eyes across Wang Xiaoyi and studied her.

In truth, he had deliberately caught Wang Xiaoyi's wrist, but once he grabbed her, he realized she didn't feel any different. Her body temperature and the sensation of her skin were completely normal. It couldn't have been that what happened in the woods was just his imagination? No... Lin Qiushi immediately cast aside his inner doubts. In this world, one couldn't overlook even the slightest misconception or hallucination; everything had to be taken to heart. They had to tread carefully; otherwise, one wrong step could lead them to their demise.

Several people continued moving forwards. Ruan Baijie walked behind Lin Qiushi. The two huddled very closely to each other. Ruan Baijie then whispered, "What did you see?"

Lin Qiushi replied, "Two figures."

Ruan Baijie hummed, obviously understanding the other's meaning.