Chapter 100: Zhu Ruyuan

Ai Wenrui's words brought looks of hesitation to all three of their faces.

Lin Qiushi said, "I'll go take a look."

He walked over to the sculpture and cautiously took hold of a corner of the white cloth. Then, very lightly, he lifted it up.

The white cloth fell, revealing the item wrapped up inside—a beautifully sculpted statue. The statue was of a woman looking down and lightly smiling. She was seated on a chair and clothed in a long dress. With her long hair draped over a shoulder, her lines were elegant and lively, as if she could truly come to life at any moment.

Though Gu Longming had little understanding of the art form, he was still caught by this sculpture, and exclaimed: "It's beautiful..."

But after seeing the statue, Ai Wenrui's expression completely changed. He took a couple of unconscious steps back, stammering, "no...It's wrong!"

"What's wrong with it?" Lin Qiushi looked over at him.

"The sculpture wasn't like this before!!" Clearly terrified by the sculpture's appearance, Ai Wenrui spoke rapidly: "When we saw it before this sculpture was only a head, where did the body come from?!"

"What do you mean?" Gu Longming's eyes went wide. "You mean this sculpture grew??"

"Yes, there's an additional body part—" Ai Wenrui said. "When we came to make the wish before, I'm certain that this sculpture, that this sculpture only had a head!"

But now, she had a body. Not only did she have a body, but she also looked more and more like a living person.

Thanks to Ai Wenrui, what was at first a beautiful statue now seemed touched with eeriness. Even the gentle smile on her face had become strange and oddly hair-raising.

"What was the initial situation? Explain it in detail." Lin Qiushi kept thinking Ai Wenrui was still hiding something.

Ai Wenrui warily eyed the sculpture. He seemed a bit scared.

"Is it okay if we don't talk about it here?"

"Alright," Lin Qiushi agreed. He too thought the sculpture was discomforting.

So the three left the room, locking the door behind them.

What they didn't notice was, after they left the room and locked the door, the gentle smile on the sculpted woman's face gradually disappeared into cool impassivity. Those plaster eyes too slowly blinked.

Lin Qiushi and Ai Wenrui returned to the activity room.

Rubbing his arm, Ai Wenrui was still caught up in the feelings of fright; his eyes kept darting toward the storage room, clearly afraid of the now-altered sculpture.

"What was the ritual you guys did?" Lin Qiushi asked him.

"Xuejie taught us!" Ai Wenrui said. "She gave us each a small wooden doll and had us drip blood on top of the doll. Then we made the wish to the sculpture..."

"Xuejie?" Lin Qiushi asked. "Where is she now?"

Ai Wenrui looked at the time and said, "right now, she's probably still in class."

"Nothing happened to her?" Gu Longming seemed incredulous. "Don't the first ones to propose the suicidal plans usually die first in this sort of plot?"

Ai Wenrui didn't know how to respond to Gu Longming's forthright proclamation.

"After everything that happened, you didn't even go talk to her?" Lin Qiushi thought something was off. "She must know something, right?"