CHAPTER 24: RESURRECTION

The whole team was in a foul mood after Zhong Chengjian's unexpected breakdown.

Zhong Chengjian had hacked the woman body's to pieces to the point that her corpse was unrecognizable; lumps of tissue and flesh were messily littered about, and thick crimson blood spattered the kitchen floors.

Smeared in blood from head to toe, Zhong Chengjian covered his face with his trembling hands and howled miserably. He simply couldn't keep himself together; it was as if he couldn't take any more of this, as if he had already given up on himself.

The look on everyone's faces was beyond complicated. An infuriated Tang Yaoyao stood near the pool of blood, looking as if she wanted to strangle somebody. With black lines marring her face, she scrubbed her arms hatefully in an attempt to clean the blood off her body.

"Wu wu wu, what should I do?" Zhong Chengjian choked out between his sobs. "I didn't mean to kill her, I didn't mean to kill her. I was just so pissed...it was just in the heat of the moment..."

"Kill, kill, kill," snarled Zhang Xinghuo, incredibly annoyed. His already ruined mood grew even worse after hearing the other repeat the word 'kill' way too many times for his liking. He spitefully added, "In any case, this isn't the real world, and there are no police officers to arrest you here, so what the fuck are you crying about?"

"Right. That's right. This isn't reality." Having been reminded of this by Zhang Xinghuo, Zhong Chengjian suddenly seemed to have become enlightened. His face broke into a wide grin, and he happily bobbed his head in agreement. "As long as I leave this place, nobody will know that I killed someone."

Not a single person uttered a word upon hearing this. Tang Yaoyao's lips curled into a contemptuous sneer. No questions asked, every experienced person here held the same exact thought. It was certainly true that you would be free and alright once you left this hellhole, but that's also under the condition that you are able to leave it in the first place.

As the members talked amongst themselves, Lin Qiushi caught sight of two shadows flitting past the doorway. Although he wasn't able to see the shadows clearly, he was positive the figures belonged to the remaining two identical little girls.

"Now what?" Tang Yaoyao looked at the ghastly, chaotic ruins of what was supposed to be a kitchen, and her head began to ache. She pressed her fingers against her temples and grumbled, "Look at this kitchen. I honestly don't want to go in there and clean this mess."

"Just wait a bit." Ruan Nanzhu said. "Perhaps it'll be as clean as a sheet tomorrow."

Assuming he was merely joking around, the group didn't bother responding to him.

That afternoon, everyone locked themselves in their rooms. The filthy kitchen hadn't been cleaned, and the pungent smell even managed to spread to the living room, causing those sitting there to gag at the rancid stench. Without a second thought, everyone vacated the area, helplessly escaping to their rooms so that they didn't have to bear with this vile odor any longer.

When it was time for dinner, Lin Qiushi, who was sitting on the bed with his head down as he played with his mobile phone, smelled the aroma of food.

The scent was indescribably tantalizing, simply mouthwatering. The moment it hit Lin Qiushi's nostrils, he couldn't help but drool. Swallowing hard, he wondered, "What is this smell?"

"Someone's cooking?" A dejected Ruan Nanzhu was sprawled listlessly across the bed. He groaned in frustration, "Ugh, I'm fucking starving. That's final, I'm treating myself to the best meal when I get back."

Lin Qiushi: "Should we go and have a look?"

Ruan Nanzhu: "Let's go."

Pretty much everyone could agree that they hadn't eaten a decent meal since arriving to this world. Whenever they saw an appetizing dish before them, they wouldn't dare move their chopsticks. In fact, they practically lived off of dry, tasteless bread every day. As Ruan Nanzhu put it, one became what they ate—this dry bread was virtually sucking the life out of them; the more they ate this dry bread, the drier and more miserable they themselves became.