CHAPTER 18: THE SECOND DOOR

He still had many questions, but it seemed as though this matter also couldn't be explained in detail in a short amount of time. While Lin Qiushi was finishing eating breakfast, he tactfully expressed that he wished to return home, saying that his house cat hadn't been fed yet.

"Go ahead." Ruan Nanzhu actually agreed to Lin Qiushi's request and said that he would look for him on Friday, so that he could prepare himself.

Lin Qiushi asked, "Preparing myself means that I'll enter those iron doors again on Friday?"

Ruan Nanzhu hummed calmly.

As Lin Qiushi thought about the scenes inside the door, the food before him gradually turned tasteless; he lost all of his appetite. Once the meal was over, Ruan Nanzhu sent Lin Qiushi back home as promised. The two didn't talk to each other the entire way back. It was only after Lin Qiushi hopped out of the car that Ruan Nanzhu finally spoke, "I'll see you on Friday."

Lin Qiushi nodded and thanked him warmly.

Ruan Nanzhu drove away, and Lin Qiushi returned to his residence.

Chestnut saw Lin Qiushi come back home, but it continued to sprawl across the sofa, lazily resting on its belly. Lin Qiushi called out its name, but it didn't move; it merely waved its tail in the air in a slow, carefree manner, indicating that it heard him.

Lin Qiushi took advantage of this opportunity to rush forth and pet it a couple of times. In any case, Chestnut didn't seem to particularly mind and didn't avoid him, but its attitude was still unfriendly.

Lin Qiushi: "Chestnut, let Dad hug you once."

He just barely reached out with his hands, before Chestnut lifted up its hind leg and directed a flying kick at him. Lin Qiushi, who had just been ruthlessly kicked, shed tears of sorrow; he knew he had absolutely zero chances of obtaining his dearest Chestnut's favor and grace for the time being.

The following day, Monday.

Lin Qiushi went to work as usual, and, once again, he informed his boss of his resignation.

When the boss heard that Lin Qiushi truly wanted to resign, he naturally tried doing everything in his power to persuade him to stay, even going as far as to promising the other a hefty raise and a promotion on the spot.

However, Lin Qiushi was utterly resolute. If he had been slightly reluctant and rather hesitant about letting go of this job before, at present time, that moment of hesitation vanished into thin air, and there were no feelings of attachment left behind. He was going to die; it was only natural that he wanted to do many things. Lin Qiushi didn't know whether he would come out of the next door alive, and he certainly didn't want to spend all of his precious, irreplaceable time on some mundane work.

The boss saw that all of the enticements he threw the other's way wouldn't convince the other, so he could only expose a look of deep regret and grudgingly accept Lin Qiushi's letter of resignation.

Finally, I don't have to work overtime every day. Lin Qiushi heaved a sigh of relief and decided to enjoy these precious few days of his life to the fullest.

At this time, the difference in the people's attitude and mentality were vividly reflected; there were some who merely waited in excruciating anxiety, and there were also some who simply decided to relish every single second of the time they had left.

Five days passed, and Friday night soon arrived.

In the past few days, Lin Qiushi also went to the library to search for any more information on Fitcher's Bird. Yet, no matter how much he researched, the only conclusion he arrived at was that this was just a gruesome children's fairy tale; there wasn't any useful information.