Chapter 121: Labyrinth

But the thing showed up for only a moment, disappearing quickly before their eyes and leaving only a silent darkness inside the door.

Gu Longming swallowed. "What, what the hell is that?" It definitely wasn't human; no human had yellow eyes like that.

"I don't know," Lin Qiushi said. "I didn't manage to see."

He looked to Ruan Nanzhu, but found Ruan Nanzhu frowning.

"It was a humanoid creature with scales all over its body," he said. "Its eyes were yellow..."

"Could it be a mermaid?" Gu Longming thought that if that was the case, there was at least some comfort to be had.

"It could be mermaid." Ruan Nanzhu smiled at him. "Just the type where it's the head that becomes a fish."

Gu Longming shivered at the image that Ruan Nanzhu gave him.

Though there was a crack in the door before them, their desire to explore was utterly gone. They chose to leave instead. Before leaving, Ruan Nanzhu even closed the door behind him.

"Without knowing the situation, let's not touch whatever's inside just yet."

After that, the three took the time to explore other locations on the ship. They discovered that the ship was actually quite large, capable of housing hundreds. There were even cannons hidden beneath the deck, though they didn't see ammunition anywhere.

As they moved through the ship gathering intel, there came a commotion on the top deck. It seemed that something had happened to someone.

When Lin Qiushi rushed up to deck, he saw the girl who'd cried the most miserably yesterday sitting on the only lifeboat on this ship. There was a man with her, and both of them had oars in hand. Plenty of fresh water and food were stacked beside them—clearly, they wanted to escape from the ship and row themselves away.

"Come back! You'll die!" Watching these two, the crowd was growing noisy. There was a kindly veteran among them already reminding the two of the rules, waving his arms and yelling: "You can't go anywhere else! You really will die! Come back already—"

"Don't lie to me!" the girl screamed, glaring hatefully at the ship full of people. "Like hell I'm going with you, you're definitely taking me somewhere scary! I'm going alone!"

She finished, thinking that veteran would continue to coax her, but then found that the air had gone oddly silent. Everyone was staring at the seawater beneath the lifeboat she sat in, an unnamable terror in their eyes.

"What? What are you all looking at?" The girl seemed to have sensed something as well. Her throat bobbed, and with a stiff expression, she slowly turned to look at the water beside her.

Though the surface of the ocean was calm, its color seemed a bit off; a deep black enveloped the ocean underneath her, as if something...was lurking right there beside her.

"Ah..." The girl shivered, looking at her companion. "Let's hurry up and go."

The companion's hand holding the oar also shook as he nodded at the girl in a panic. The two began to row in an attempt to leave this endless expanse of sea.

When the oars in their hands made contact with the ocean, the water beneath their tiny boat rippled out in thin waves. And in that moment, the girl heard the sound of something speeding through the sea. Before she could react, a giant fishtail leaped out of the sea and smacked hard into that little boat of hers.

The boat shattered upon impact, and the two people on it fell into the water. That was when she caught a glimpse of what the giant fish before her looked like.