CHAPTER 31: SUDDEN DOWNPOUR

Ruan Nanzhu paused momentarily at Lin Qiushi's words. His very next response was to stop Lin Qiushi from trying to investigate anymore. In a low voice, he whispered, "Just ignore this for now. Let's first find Cheng Qianli."

Lin Qiushi finally remembered that they still had one more comrade with them. He hadn't seen a shadow of Cheng Qianli's figure since arriving at the temple, and he had no clue as to where the boy had run off to, so in the end, he just put the matter to the side and accidentally forgot about the kid.

Upon seeing the two walk deeper into the temple, Xu Jin, who was trailing after them, quivered and frightfully stammered, "W-where are you guys going? Don't tell me you want to keep going? This place is so scary!"

Sighing, Lin Qiushi responded to Xu Jin, "Yeah, we're just going in to have a quick look." He continued to advance inside the temple, while observing his surroundings.

The temple itself was quite large, and a vacant and spacious main hall stood at the outmost section of the temple. A statue of Buddha and several incense altars were erected at the front of the vast hall. It appeared as though the villagers had often visited the shrine to pay their respects and pray.

Further inside were many smaller, separate rooms, most of which were locked. Through the window, Lin Qiushi spotted something that resembled a statue, but he couldn't get a clear view of it, as it was covered by a red curtain.

"I really want to go in and check it out." Ruan Nanzhu inaudibly mumbled to himself.

"There's something in there." Xu Jin fiercely rubbed her arms to quell the goosebumps. "Wah, this is so scary..."

The moment Ruan Nanzhu heard her, he turned to face Lin Qiushi and feebly leaned against his body. With eyes glistening with unfallen tears, he peered up at the other and weakly called out, "Big brother Linlin, I'm so scared."

Here we go again, Lin Qiushi thought to himself; he didn't even have to look at Ruan Nanzhu to know that the other was, once again, getting immersed in his weak-hearted, damsel-in-distress role. Not knowing whether to cry or laugh, Lin Qiushi simply grasped the other's hand and decided to play along, gently comforting, "Don't be afraid. I'm here for you."

Upon seeing this, Xu Jin gnashed her teeth in hatred. No doubt she was relentlessly spitting strings of vulgar profanity in her heart and inwardly cursing this dog couple with all her passion.

The group continued onwards. After passing through a long corridor, they finally caught sight of Cheng Qianli.

As of this moment, Cheng Qianli was standing at the corner of a temple chamber, facing the wall and staring at God-knows-what.

Having heard the sound of shuffling footsteps approaching him from behind, Cheng Qianli whirled his head around, only to see Lin Qiushi and the others. He beckoned them over, "Come, you guys have a look at this, too. There's a painted wall mural here."

Lin Qiushi made his way to the other's side and asked, "A wall mural? Oh, and hello, little brother. I'm Yu Linlin. What's your name?"

Cheng Qianli replied, "Just call me Mu Yu. And these two beautiful women are...?"

Xu Jin and Ruan Nanzhu introduced themselves.

"Oh, you poor things. Your luck is really the worst." Cheng Qianli shook his head in pity. "To think such beautiful girls would also enter such a terrifying world."

Xu Jin sniveled, "I know right. I'm so scared." Having finally found a companion she could vent all her grievances to, she choked with emotion, "This entire place is so strange and creepy. I don't even know what's going on anymore." She wiped the corners of her wet eyes and sniffed; her forlorn appearance stirred pity in the hearts of onlookers.