CHAPTER 62: TIME FOR WORK

Although Tan Zaozao wanted Lin Qiushi to help her persuade Ruan Nanzhu, Lin Qiushi was not in the place to do so. Going into the world of doors wasn't like vacation, after all, and regardless of whether it was themselves or they were bringing a client, it was a large risk. Once something happened, all their prior efforts would have been for nothing and their lives would be at stake.

Afterwards, Lin Qiushi didn't mention it to Ruan Nanzhu again.

Summer was over during that time and the weather had begun to cool. The students were on winter break and the end of the year was about to arrive.

A few people in the villa returned to their hometowns for the new year. Lin Qiushi originally thought that he'd be the only one left in the villa, but unexpectedly, Ruan Nanzhu said that he wasn't going back either.

"Aren't you going back as well?" Surprised, Lin Qiushi asked. He was not familiar with Ruan Nanzhu's background in the real world, nor did he know why Ruan Nanzhu got involved with the doors in the first place.

"No," Ruan Nanzhu said, "There's almost no one left in my home."

Lin Qiushi replied with an "Oh", but he didn't press on and instead lowered his head, pondering over the menu for tonight. Ruan Nanzhu was not a picky eater and he seemed to be fine with everything. He was an incredibly easy person to take care of.

Lin Qiushi stared at the menu and something came to his mind. After a moment of hesitation, he said, "Right... Do you mind if I asked you a question?"

Ruan Nanzhu was looking at his laptop, he didn't even turn his head, "Speak."

Lin Qiushi, "What's your reason for entering the doors?"

Ruan Nanzhu's movements froze momentarily as he slapped his laptop closed, then looked at Lin Qiushi.

Lin Qiushi was momentarily stifled by Ruan Nanzhu's gaze. He was just about to say 'I'm only asking for fun. It's not necessary to reply.' when he heard Ruan Nanzhu said, "I don't know."

Lin Qiushi, "Ah?"

Ruan Nanzhu spoke serenely as if what he was speaking of wasn't anything of importance. "Not everyone needs to know the reason they've encountered the doors."

Lin Qiushi gave it some thought and found that it was quite reasonable. How would anyone know how their deaths would be if the time for it to happen hasn't come yet? In this manner of thought, he found himself quite lucky because he knew why he was going to die, so he was spared from that bit of concern.

"There's nothing to know about." Ruan Nanzhu raised his hand to glance at his watch, "It's about time."

Lin Qiushi knew that he was about to enter another door. Just as he wanted to persuade him to rest tonight since it was New Year's Eve, Ruan Nanzhu vanished before he could speak.

Lin Qiushi, "..." Sigh, let it go. Let it go.

He went downstairs to prepare dinner.

At this moment, there were only three people left in the villa. Other than the two of them, Yi Manman, who was mincing meat in the kitchen, had also remained.

If one were to ignore Yi Manman's gentle look, he looked absolutely vile as he minced the meat, his kitchen knife turning the meat into grinded powder in a matter of seconds.

Lin Qiushi didn't know what etiquettes they had for family union dinners so he decided to make both some dumplings and dishes.

Lin Qiushi fetched the fish that he'd bought and placed temporarily in the pond, preparing to kill it and scrape off its scales. "So do you guys like Squirrel Fish? Or do you guys prefer pickled ones?" He recalled that Ruan Nanzhu would eat everything as long as it tasted good.