Chapter 127: Twin Lives

Against reality, however, words of comfort were like trying to put out a wagon fire with a single cup of water.

Not only the Cheng twins, but also everybody else in the mansion were in low spirits because of this door. As someone who'd just entered Obsidian, Ye Niao didn't understand the organization very well. Even so, he still felt the thickly solemn atmosphere; he was by nature lively and upbeat, but during this time period, he didn't even dare to speak too loudly.

Until a few days later, and the time came for the twins to enter their door.

The weather was good that morning. Lu Yanxue made a rich breakfast, including Cheng Qianli's favorite soup dumplings. Cheng Qianli had a great time eating, swallowing down practically one per bite like a squirrel storing food away for the winter.

Lin Qiushi's appetite, however, was average. He felt kind of like a parent waiting on the scores of his kid's college entrance exam, and figured everybody else felt about the same. The truth was, though, that the price to pay for failure in the doors was a lot more painful than the exams.

While everybody was eating, Cheng Yixie and Cheng Qianli suddenly stood. The two turned and went upstairs.

Lin Qiushi watched them go and immediate understood what was about to happen. He was oddly nervous, not even managing to properly hold onto the chopsticks in his hand, and they clattered onto the table.

Lu Yanxue was the only woman left in Obsidian after Zhuang Rujiao left. She forced a smile.

"They'll be fine, right? Ruan-ge?"

Ruan Nanzhu sat beside Lin Qiushi with his gaze cast downward. He did not give an answer to Lu Yanxue's question.

For a tenth door, he couldn't even promise that he himself could make it out alive.

Under normal circumstances, a single door lasted around ten minutes in reality.

Lin Qiushi had never thought that ten minutes could be so difficult to bear. He stared at the watch in his hand, watching the second hand scoot forward bit by bit. He even instinctively held his breath, until he realized he wasn't getting any air and hurried to inhale a breath or two.

"I want a drink, do you guys want any?" Chen Fei suddenly got up and asked in agitation.

"Mh," Lin Qiushi nodded.

Ruan Nanzhu glanced at Lin Qiushi, but didn't try to talk him out of it.

And so Chen Fei got a bottle of Maotai, and the group began drinking bright and early in the morning.

Sunlight cast bright dapples in through the window, but they got no heat from it. Lin Qiushi mouthed at the liquor in his cup and felt the whole house go so scarily silent.

But the moment of judgment they were waiting for finally came.

Nine-eighteen AM, there came a wail from upstairs.

Like everybody else, Lin Qiushi's expression immediately changed. They rushed up the stairs and found the twins on their bed.

One was holding the other, and the one being held had blood pouring endlessly out of his mouth—Lin Qiushi had never seen so much blood, mouthful after mouthful. It dyed the sheets, the carpet, and everything within sight.

"No!! No!!" A tearing voice like the lament of someone also dying, the one left behind let out a wretched cry. "Don't leave me, Qianli, Qianli—"

Cheng Qianli was being held, but he didn't seem to have much strength left. His eyes were wide open, but his gaze had started to disperse at the edges. A fingertip slowly drew across Cheng Yixie's cheek as he managed to make himself smile, as he managed to call a quiet Gege.