Chapter 8

Carol's POV

My hands where still on his chest while I stared at Nick with wide-eyes, watching and waiting. I was so still, frozen almost. But on the inside I was literally going crazy. My heart was racing, my breathing had quickened, but I was still breathing slowly? I don't know.

I don't think I'm thinking straight because as Nick leaned in to kiss me the only thing I felt like doing right now was kiss him back.

*RING* *RING* *RING*

A phone rang from across the room. The sound seemed to snap Nick out of it, while I was still the same. To be honestly I think I've been out of it from the moment I asked him to be my fake boyfriend.

Nick pushed me gently besides him then quickly stood up not looking at me and ran a hand through his hair and I heard him curse at himself like he was just about to do something horrible.

I sat still on the couch looking at him for a while, waiting for some sort of reaction until I finally turned away.

Mrs Smith came in grabbing the phone and answered talking to the person on the line.

My lips felt tingly, and I resist the urged to touch them, we hadn't even kiss so why was I reacting like this.

'Because I kissed him in my head. Had to make a plan B if it turned out like this' my inner voice had said as if that had made any sense at all. It sounded so smug.

If I could slap me, I would.

But truth be told I had imagined how Nick's lips would feel on my own. The thought made my face heat up and it was times like this when I was very thankful that I'm black.

Mrs Smith was still on the phone, she seemed annoyed. I smiled it was probably some late minute customer wanting to do her hair and she couldn't refuse.

I looked at Nick again, and he still wasn't facing me, if anything I think his ears were a little read.

From the embarrassment of almost kissing me or the realization of us almost making this whole fake relationship REALLY awkward.

I was feeling both.

We had both agreed that we should avoid the physical aspects of the relationships unless otherwise needed. This was definitely not needed.

"Nick-" I was about to say something then he finally turned around to look at me but was not making any eye contact he was looking everywhere else. Was he that embarrassed?

"Pfft" I snorted then gasped not expecting it. I did find it funny that he was embarrassed because this seemed like something he'd smooth out coolly.

Even though I felt like laughing right now I know I definitely won't feel like this later.

Laugh now cry later they say.

That seemed to have gotten his attention and made him more embarrassed. I could tell because he glanced away then finally made eye contact with me clearly annoyed and all but I couldn't help smiling.

Mrs Smith was done with her phone call and she sighed. "Well, there goes my early evening. Are you guys about to leave now?" She asked noticing my purse and all my stuff that I had packed up before waking up Nick.

"Yeah we're-"I started speaking, but Nick interrupted me and I glared at him, like really? He just threw a smile my way and seemed like his was back to his normal self.

"We were just saying goodbye. We're actually going our separate ways now. I have to meet up with someone" He said casually.

I knew damn well that he was lying, he was just embarrassed. I mean he was the one about to kiss me. It was completely one-sided. He should be embarrassed, I was completely fine.