Chapter 22

On cue, almost everyone gasped. Out of shock or joy who knows?

The people nearest to Alice began congratulating her. The ones near me where giving me looks of shock, they looked frozen and just stared at me with wide eyes, like my mom, like Alice.

Everyone waiting for my reaction.

My Aunt, like lightning suddenly struck her, jolted. Now looked at me with panic stricken eyes.

I, myself was frozen. I didn't blink, I didn't move.

"Carol-"I heard and felt Nick reach out to me but in the moment I blocked out his voice, him, everyone looking at me, just everything.

My hands were on my lap, clenched in fists.

I inhaled deeply and stood up. The whole room was silent, waiting for some sort of explosion or for some a show something to talk about for weeks going on.

"Alice." I said her name as I exhaled.

She immediately stood up, tears still running from her eyes. Seriously. Why was she crying?

"Congratulations." I told her with a tight-lipped smile and grabbed my things turning to leave.

As I left I could hear people's sounds of shock, even someone saying "I guess she really doesn't care about them anymore."

That's right. That's what I wanted. I had brought Nick here to prove exactly that. So I'd be damned if I let whatever they have going off affect me, physically. I don't care. I wouldn't give anyone the satisfaction of seeing me care. I knew potentially what would follow after Keith had started dating my sister. A marriage, a child anything. But I wasn't expecting it this soon, it didn't mean it would hurt any less.

A feeling of dread came which I was all to familiar with. Why? If I didn't care, if I wasn't affected then why was I crying?

I heard footsteps following me close behind but I didn't want to- no I didn't have the energy to turn around to deal with them.

I continued walking up to my room, running almost.

"Carol, hold on." Nick said, following after me.

"No, just leave me alone." I told him, hoping he would listen. Nick's already seen me cry before and I would get physically, chronically sick if he saw me cry again. This time it would be just too much.

Don't get me wrong. I don't mind being vulnerable in front of the right people. But that was just it. Nick wasn't the right person. He was someone who couldn't care more about how I was doing or what was going on than a causal stranger.

I finally reached my room and just as I was about to go in Nick grabbed my arm, forcing me to stop.

"Let go." I chocked, looking at the ground. I swear...

"Carol-look at me." He whispered, gently grabbing my chin. I didn't resist, instead I  continued looking sideways, downwards anywhere but him.

He sighed and then suddenly just brought me into his arms. Holding me tightly.

My hand were both gripping his shirt tightly, not wanting to let go.

I continued bitting my lip, tighter to hold back my tears or any sound.

Nick had wrapped his arms around me and bent his head whispering again, "For tonight, for this moment, let's forget our deal, the agreement. I'm just a random but compassionate stranger who's just wandering and worried about why such a beautiful woman is crying and holding back her tears."

I continued holding him, completely silent, except for a couple of sniffs. He continued speaking,

"It's crazy because as much as the stranger wants to help her, his weakness is quite obviously, crying woman. He's not sure what to do but to tell her that she's not alone. He'll be with her until she's okay, until she's back on her feet." He spoke in 3rd person.