Chapter 30

I was completely horrified.

Luckily, because i hadn't eaten anything recently my stomach was kind of empty. Obviously not completely because the small area of my vomit by Santa's shoes said otherwise.

"I-I'm so sorry!" I said, eyes wide in complete disbelief. I immediately took off my scarf and covered the puke.

For better or for worse, I was actually feeling much better now. But I couldn't bear to make eye contact with Nick's Father, reminder-the current Santa Claus.

'What a horrible first impression.' I thought to myself, grimacing just thinking about the whole situation.

I felt hands on my shoulders pulling me up gently. Nick's Father was now guiding me to the nearest seat.

I plopped down the sofa, which was really comfortable by the way. But who cared about that right now? I was probably going to be kick out in a few minutes and deemed unworthy or something like that.

I fidgeted with my fingers as I kept my gaze on my lap, anticipating when Nick would walk through one of these many wooded doors. As ashamed of myself as I was right now, I was still hoping there was something he could do in this situation.

With my shoulders slumped, I buried my face into my hands, awaiting to be rebuked.

But Mr Claus said nothing and for a few moments we just sat in silence until I heard a few movements and raised my head to see what was going on. I saw someone already-well they looked like they were done now-cleaning my mess. They nodded their head to Mr Claus before leaving once their job was done. I was guessing it was a maid but they were as small as an elf.

I felt a brief moment of relief and gratitude but I knew I couldn't relax yet. I looked to where the person disappeared to because I realized I hadn't said thank you yet. But I'm not kidding when I mean I was frozen with shame.

"You must have had a hard time." Mr Claus said sighing with his hands folded together. I simply blinked at him not sure what to say.

"I'm sure both of my children have been giving you a hard time," He shook his head before he continued. "Both Holly and Nick know that there are side effects for normal humans who travel to the North Pole and aren't used to Northern vehicles like the Slighs or snow mobiles."

"I'm sorry." He apologized, slightly bowing his head at me.

I was still blinking at him and the only thought in my head was that he really was a Saint.

I was once again speechless but this time for a different reason so all I could simply do was nod and give a weak smile. I did want to protest and say that there wasn't a need for him to apologize but at this point I think it was safer to communicate without opening my mouth.

He seemed satisfied with that and we went back to sitting in silence, this time it was just slightly more comfortable.

I took this opportunity to examine my surroundings. There were a lot of bits and pieces of artwork here and there. I noticed that even though the outside and inside were all wood, the house seemed to be well insulated and warm. Also the couch I was sitting on was really comfortable. Now that my banishment had been overturned, that blanket of tiredness I'd been covered with had just come back and I wanted nothing more than to fall asleep here and now.

But first, I needed to brush my teeth.

The person who had cleaned my mess had come back and Mr Claus rose up from his seat "She'll show you where to freshen up while I make us a few cups of hot chocolate." I nodded again in reply. I was feeling so thankful towards him right now.