Chapter 13

Carol's POV

I stayed dead silent waiting for Nick to speak and placed my phone right by my ear trying to hear what he was saying. I think he put his phone out of reach or was covering his phone because I couldn't hear clearly.

After sometime he finally spoke"Sorry about that just hanging out with some friends" friends, right.

"Oh? Then I'm sorry for disturbing you again. What were you guys doing?" I asked, completely discarding the promise I had made to myself to not ask him about night, but I just wanted to know that's it.

"A random restaurant." He answered smoothly. He's lying I don't know why he would need to lie to me about where he was it really didn't matter if he was on a date with somone, I didn't care.

'Right' my inner voice said. Argh.

"Why?" He continued, "Did you call me randomly, in the middle of the night to find out what I was doing? Why? " He dragged out the why and I could already see his eyebrows raised and the kind of smile he had while he asked as if he knew why I was really calling.

"I was just trying to make small talk." I said which did sound like a reasonable excuse, one point to me.

"Really? The last time we spoke you made it very clear that things like that where a complete waste of time, regarding our relationship." He said, and I think I detected a hint of hostility. Yup he was most definitely still bitter about our last interaction.

I winced, that's exactly what I had said. "Yes but-" I wanted to explain but he cut me of "Forget it. Just tell me what you want." He spoke with a flat voice. Okay now he was just being plain mean. I mean all I did last time was reminded him about what he said the first time we agreed to this. It was very much mutual.

"I wanted to know if you had any suggestions about how we'll get to my mom, I was thinking we could go by bus?" I had suggested.

"Freddy'll will take us." He said plainly then asked "Was that it? I need to get back to something."

Was that it, argh why did I even call him. "Yes, that's it. I'll see you tomorrow." I said not even trying to hide the annoyance in my voice and ended the call.

"Get back to something he said," I began "more like someone."  I put my phone aside and laying down in my bed and let out a loud, exgsughted sigh.

I bit my lip for the fourth time that night, clutching my pillow. It was officially Saturday and in about 15 hours or so I'll be seeing my family with that Jerk as my boyfriend.

I turned my head into my pillow screaming silently. I felt anxious, annoyed, scared a lot of emotions really. I sighed again, turning to stare at the ceiling.

"Why did he lie about what he was doing tonight? Was he really seeing that women?" I spoke to myself out loud in the night. The knots in my stomach getting tighter. I had most definitely heard her voice not that I knew what she sound like but yeah.

I shook my head "Whatever it doesn't matter. I'm not going to think about Nick, my ex, my sister or how today and tomorrow will be. I'm going to get a good nights sleep." I said trying to be positive and closed my eyes trying to fall asleep.

Nick POV

I looked at my phone, confused. Carol had hung up, sounding irritated, which I don't even understand why because I was giving her the boundaries she asked for.

"Whatever." I just said putting my phone back in my pocket and walking back inside to the bar.

"Is everything alright? What was that about?" Delilah asked taking a sip from her drink. Delilah, was someone I had met a while ago before I was even dropped in New York. She was one of my ... friends.