Chapter 21

'A blessing in disguise' my inner voice said.

"Oh, No!" Alice had come out of nowhere trying to help her boyfriend. Man, just thinking that made me want to puke.

I now knew why the evening was going so well. I hadn't see nor bumped into these two since it began, which in turn meant that I hadn't even thought about them.

"You're lying. You don't even look sorry." Keith said after I had tried to explain what has happened and say sorry.

I sighed, trying again. "I'm sorry your ugly off white top was in the wrong place at the wrong time." I shrugged. Listen, in my defense I thought that after this afternoon I'd go the high road, you know. Tap into my inner Saint Carol.

"You-" Keith began but Alice interupted him. "It's fine. Accidents happen. Sorry for disturbing your night, Carol." She gave me a small smile.

I didn't say anything but just narrowed my eyes at them both. What was her game?

Bri had lost the tray and came in-between all of us, smiling. "Thank you, Alice. Now we'll be on our way." She said grabbing my shoulders and turning me away, before I could even protest.

"She's hiding something or planning something." I said to Bri, biting my lip.

"Oh no you don't. Don't even think about them tonight." She said releasing her hold on me.

"But-" I wanted to protest.

"Nope. I'm not having it." She said shaking her head and then stopped walking and looked at me straight in the eyes.

"Listen, Carol. Right now you've got a wonderful man who seems like he'll go the extra mile to keep and make you happy. I mean the man's currently listening to a drunk Uncle Nat's story to keep the peace." She said pointing at where Nick was, nodding and gapping at every single crazy thing my Dad's brother might be saying to him.

I laughed at the sight and Nick, as if sensing me watching him turned my way and gave me a heart warming smile.

Bri took notice of this and added "See what I mean? Unfortunately, I haven't seen you much the past year or so but I do think that this is the happiest I've ever seen you. Even when you were with Keith."

My head whipped away from Nick so fast to her. I could see my own panic stricken face in my reflection in her eyes.

She grinned thinking that this was the best thing for me. I wish I could share her joy. And in a single moment it's as if reality had hit me all at once. She didn't know that all Nick was doing was going along with our plan. That he wasn't actually mine or that I really shouldn't be enjoying this the way that I was.

"I need another drink." I told Bri "I'll see you around, Thank you." I said making sure to thank her for earlier before I left.

My makeup, hair all suddenly felt so heavy. I felt like I was-

"Carol!" I heard my mom's voice call out for me from behind.

Oh, come on. I just want a single moment to gather my thoughts. JUST ONE.

I continued walking, acting like I didn't hear her.

"Carol!" She continued calling for me.

I saw some people make eye contact with me and point backwards trying to tell me that I should turn around. I decided I had no other choice because I was just attracting more attention to myself.

"What?" I graoned, regrettably.

"Is that how you answer? What's going on with you?" She scolded. Man, this just kept getting worse.