Chapter 20

"READY! GET SET! GO!"

As the signal went off, Lu cheng started running with all his might. And the whole field was filled with cheers and chants. Shouting names and classes showing support.

Their line up was ; Lu cheng-Xiao Lanyi-Xiao Jinyi-Zu xian-Mu qing

Lu cheng was the third one to pass the baton but Lanyi was able to pass the second. So with Jinyi's turn, they were second place. But the class D's 3rd runner was fast and managed to outrun him and thus putting them back to the 3rd place.

When the baton was passed to Zu xian, the cheers were loud at a certain area. Mu qing turned his head and saw Qianqiu and Qi rong cheering for him. Not just that but Yushi huang also observed him with encouragement while Xie lian shouted a "You can do this".

'Maybe they're cheering for their class.' Mu qing thought pertaining to Qi rong and Xie lian.

When Zu xian already ran more than a half of the distance, Mu qing stretched his arms and bended to the left, then to the right, stretching his legs.

As Zu xian was getting closer, Mu qing tightened his hair tie and extended his right hand for the baton.

When he received the baton, he heard him say "I know you can do this" and felt a light tap on his back.

During Zu xian's turn, they managed to place second again. Mu qing started with a quarter of his speed, closing the gap with the first place.

Just like in practice, when he reached the mid point of the distance, he started to use his full speed, outrunning the leading class.

The cheers from his class got louder. And as he approached the finish line, he relaxed seeing that he left the other teams behind with a quite long distance.

When he was just steps away from the finish line, his steps slowed down and halted. He stopped right at the front of the finish line. Only one step and they'll be victor.

But what's pass the finish line was more like a losing situation. Pass the finish line there stood the biggest fear in his life. Chen zhu.

He slowly stepped back. His lips started to tremble. When someone suddenly stood infront of Chen zhu, blocking his view and looking at him with a smile.

"Feng xin?" Mu qing mumbled.

Feng xin just smiled. "Aren't you coming over here? They're just less than 10 steps from the finish line you know?"

Mu qing looked at him as he extends his hands as if urging him to cross the line and be with him.

Mu qing looked at Feng xins hands and stared at it for a few seconds and suppressed the small smile surfacing on his face.

Then, just before the other class reached the finish line, he took Feng xins hand and crossed the finish line.

"I told you I'll get gold."

"The bet was for you to get recruite-"

"Hi, excuse me, you're Mu qing right?" A girl in a tracksuit interrupted.

Mu qing smirked at Feng xin and turned to the one who called him.

"Yes. Thats me." He said with his poker face.

"Ah, I'm Chu hua from Year 3, Class B. I'm the manager of the track club." She said as she extended her hand for a handshake.

"Mu qing." Mu qing introduced himself and took her hand.

"The track team were watching the race earlier and expressed their willingness to welcome you in the team. Would you like to join the club? You can give us an answer later if you need time to think about it."

"No need. Ill take the opportunity." Mu qing said.

"Oh okay then. We're glad to have you." She said with a smile and turned to leave.

Mu qing turned to Feng xin with a smirk. "Told you."

Feng xin has his goofy grin on his face and opened his mouth to say something when the manager came back.

"Oh right. Mu qing, do you know where the track captain of your class went? We also want to recruit him."

With this statement, Feng xin frowned. Mu qing looked around. After a few seconds of scanning his surroundings, indeed, Zu xian is nowhere to be found. He only saw his teammates and Xie lian together with the others approaching him.

"MU QING! You did great! You're even faster compared to when we practiced!" Jinyi exclaimed.

"Mhm! Mhm! Right!" Lanyi seconded beside his twin.

Mu qing ignored their statement and asked "Where's Zu xian?" But instead of receiving an answer, he instead received teasing gazes from the twins.

"What?!"Mu qing irritatingly asked.

"Why you askin'?" The twins asked completely in sync. Xie lian, Hua cheng, Qianqiu, Qi rong, and Yushi huang were just listening to their exchanges. And with the occuring teasing led by the twins, they can t help but look suspiciously at mu qing. Well, except for Xie lian who wore an expression that looks like he doesnt know whether to laugh or cry while glancing at Feng xin and Hua cheng who just smirked as usual, and Yushi huang who just chuckled lightly. Feng xin on the other hand just stood at side, his mood completely different form earlier.

"Cant you just answer the fricking question? The manager of the track club is looking for him." Mu qing said with burrowed eyebrows.

"Okayyy~"The twins said in unison before Lu cheng butted in. "I last saw him in the finish line, seemingly waiting for you."

"Yeah. I also saw Zu xian at the finish line. But the last time I saw him was when you crossed the finish line. He was leaving the area pulling someo-"

"CAPTAIN!" Lanyi's explanation was cut off by his twin who was waving at someone. They all looked at the direction his waving at and saw Zu xian holding his face with cold compress and a bruised lip.

"Hey guys." He greeted while walking towards them with a smile. But before he could get close to them, the manager talked to him first.

"Hi, I was looking for you. Im Chu hua from Year 3 Class B, manager of the track club. We would like to recruit you and make you join the club together with Mu qing." She said and extended her hand.

"Oh. Im Zu xian. Did Mu qing agree to join the club?" He asked as he took her hand. The girls just nodded with a smile.

"Okay then. I'll also join. Thank you." He said.

"Alright. Welcome to the club. I'll come to your room to call for you two sometime after the sports fest." She said which Zu xian responded to with a nod and she went on her way.

He looked at his teammates direction and met eyes with Mu qing. He was surprised at first but covered it with a smile and approached them. He nodded at Xie lian and company before turning to his teammates.

He opened his mouth to speak when mu qing spoke first. "What happened to your face?"