xxiii

-
(mw)

10:39.

The longest i'd ever remembered Finlay to stay in bed on a Christmas morning, and he still hadn't moved. Mum was awake, pottering about, washing dishes and such. I smiled at the thought- she'd never been able to sit in even a slightly messy room. I pulled one of Harry's old sweatshirts over my head and left my bedroom to help her.

She'd placed even more presents around the Christmas tree, all wrapped in the same sparkly, red wrapping paper, with green ribbon wrapped around it, tied in a neat bow.

"Hi, honey," she smiled, holding up a mug as an offering towards a coffee. I nodded, giving her a small wave as I yawned into my other hand. "Thought it was going to be Finlay."

I shook my head, "Nope, surprised he isn't awake yet actually."

"I'll make him a coffee, take it to him and wake him up, you know what he's like." She laughed. I nodded in agreement, taking the mug of coffee from her hands, pressing a simple kiss to her cheek. I sat on the sofa, watching as she disappeared into the hallway and towards one of the spare rooms.

I heard grumbles coming from the room, followed by movement before Finlay came running out of his bedroom, pulling a hoodie over his head in a mess. Mum was following behind with a smile, the coffee in her hands- the coffee he clearly wasn't too interested in.

"Mate," Finn groaned, rubbing his face quickly, hair messy and practically flying everywhere. "Why didn't anyone wake me up sooner?"

I shrugged, following them both to sit on the sofa, Finlay sitting in front of the tree like an excited toddler. "You were clearly tired."

"Nah," he shook his head, digging through the gifts, handing us each the ones with our names labelled. "It's Christmas."

-

Finlay had returned back to bed a few hours after we'd opened the gifts, the impressed smile never leaving his face.

We'd all done extremely well with the gift picking this year- each of us receiving something that we'd talked about all year.

Finlay received the North Face puffer coat from me, the boy having not shut up about it since it came in trend. He'd thrifted the red one, which I thought was nice, earlier in the year, but he desperately wanted the original black one, which is what I bought him.

And for my mum, I'd gotten her a simple bracelet, silver from Tiffany & Co. She'd had it in her wish list for years, and as much as she's always deserved it, I could easily afford it this year around, without having to worry.

As for me, the two had chipped their money in together to buy me my gift, which somehow makes it even more special. A pair of earrings- Gucci, simple silver hoops, that i'd had in our group chat wish list for so long.

"Thankyou for everything," Mum started, tidying around the place. I smiled, helping her. "Seriously. You've spoilt us both, we both appreciate and love you so much."

"Aw mum," I mumbled, "you're gonna make me cry."

"It's true," she said, "especially Finn. His little face lit up at that coat Mil, he loves it."

"It's nothing," I shrugged. "He deserves it."

"And my bracelet. It's beautiful Millie," she smiled, holding it up in front of her, the metal twinkling against her skin. "I love it."

"Well I love you both, it's the least I could do."

-

Liked by wroetoshaw, privatefinlay and othersmillie

millie.2 obviously impressed with my heart crumpets and his toy

view all comments

privatefinlay buzzing
   - replies millie.2 glad

wroetoshaw big kid
   - replies privatefinlay won't be saying that when you see how sick it is
   - replies wroetoshaw i'll have a turn

-