Chapter Four

In Duration's locker room, Chelz and I dressed for her bachelorette party. We were giddy with anticipation as we stood side by side, applying our makeup and fixing our hair. Patty and Marta, Chelz's friends, greeted us at the front desk. Keta and Darby—who is a college friend of Chelz, were waiting for us at the restaurant, tasked with making sure our table was ready. Cocorico Cocina, a Chinese-Caribbean fusion restaurant in the South End, was owned by Marta's family. The cuisine perfectly blended traditional Puerto Rican and Chinese dishes. The food was fabulous.

Wearing a tight green dress, I refused to overindulge, not to mention having to tighten my purse strings based on the prices of each dish. Even if it was out of my budget, I planned to return to Cocorico in the future. With the money gathered from the girls, I paid the bill, retaining enough for transportation and drinks at the club.

On our way to Lumiere, we chatted and giggled as we drank champagne. The excitement was as intoxicating as the bubbles in the sweet drink. I looked at the girls, sighing at the first happy outing I'd had in two years. No longer stifled by a controlling, loveless marriage, I, once again, experienced sheer joy. My friends made me feel electric and invincible. I was determined to relish every second of Chelsea's last night as a single woman.

We exited the limo, and I looked at the marquis.

Lumiere shone in bright amber lights. The music resounded outside, entertaining the guests who stood in the cold night air. The shawl wrapped around my face couldn't protect me from the chilly night. Darby's sister worked for the management team of the club owners, placing us on the entrance list and reserving a VIP lounge. We were greeted by one of the associates who walked us to the coat check. I remained cocooned in my shawl. With our arms linked, Keta and I arrived at the lounge.

The girls giggled and smiled as they took their places around the sumptuous couch. We looked around the room. The upbeat music echoed in time with the wavy, multicolored lights, which randomly lit sections of the dark club. The dancers were perched on mini stages and inside cages, reminding me of the time when I danced to make money. Even at the early, ten o'clock hour, the club was filled to capacity.

The semicircle, sectional couch allowed us to talk to each other and take in the club's vibe. The oval, center table was made of wood, outlined by a lit pane of thick glass. It looked like a stage made for dancing. I pointed it out to Chelz, winked, and wiggled my hips. "No," she mouthed while waving her hands. I nodded and mockingly ran my tongue over my upper lip. We broke out into laughter. I decided my dance would wait until after we were all sufficiently inebriated.

The waitress took our drink order for bottle service, ordering tequila and a variety of fruity cocktails. I scanned the club, watching the men gathered in packs. They held their drinks while staring at the clusters of women dancing with each other. The guys prowled for a one-night conquest while the women scanned the room for potential lifemates. Women danced seductively with each other because it seemed safer, more suggestive, and ego-boosting. And Keta and I were no different, swaying against each other.

When our drinks arrived, we took our martini glasses and delicately tapped the brims in hearty cheers. I took a long swig of the sweet mixture, popping a few pomegranates in my mouth. The beverage loosened me up further. I pulled Darby to dance with us around the center table.

The DJ seamlessly mixed a variety of Hip Hop, DubStep, and Reggaeton music. As I sipped and swayed to the music, I surveyed the club. Three lounges away, four men entered the reserved space. They were all handsome and well-dressed. In my lit state, I barely recognized the last man to enter the seating area. Dr. Dashing sat down, crossing his leg, scanning the vicinity. He looked relaxed as he smiled and laughed at something his friend whispered in his ear.