Chapter Fourteen

As I checked in the guests, I reflected on our earlier encounter. I was still in shock that he picked me up at that early hour. Upon remembering he had left me messages, I found my cell phone. Ignoring four of his text messages, I wanted to hear his deep voice again. While the phone had been turned off, I'd missed seven calls and five voicemail messages.

Five calls were from Dashing, having left three voicemails. The remaining messages were from my father then Chelz.

My father's call was short and sweet.

Papa: "Hola, Perla. Call me. It's your Papa. Buenas Noches."

I checked Chelz's recording.

Chelsea: "I hope the reason you're not picking up your phone is because he's knee deep in the booty. Call me!"

It wasn't easy to stifle a laugh while at work.

For as enthusiastic as I was to listen to Dashing's voice again, I couldn't bring myself to play his message. Alarm bells were ringing in my head. Chelz's words about Ben having "fucked up" my confidence reverberated in my mind. I questioned Dashing's eagerness to be with me. Surely, he could find a woman more beautiful, more refined and educated, and available.

When the coast was clear of guests needing towels or booking a class, I pressed his first message.

Dashing, Message One: "Hi, Perla. It's Matt. I just wanted to say I'll be home soon. Sorry for being late. I got caught up at the hospital. I hope you haven't left. I'll see you soon."

It was his first message from when he left me to do rounds at the hospital. I pressed save.

Matt.

Before hearing his voicemail, addressing himself so informally, I had only addressed him as Dr. Keene. Chelz and I nicknamed him Doctor Dashing. When we met up at the club, he never introduced himself with his preferred name. And after mind-blowing sex, I couldn't call him Dr. Keene or Dashing. Living in a haze of lust, I could barely remember my name.

Matt suited him.

Dashing, Message Two: "Hi Perla. Matt, here. I wanted to say Good Night. To hear your voice again. I had an enjoyable afternoon with you. I'd like us to get together again. . . Whenever you're free. Hope we can talk soon."

Saving the second message, I knew I was going overboard with keeping these innocuous recordings.

Dashing, Message Three: "Perla, I've tried to call you a few times before. At the risk of sounding psychotic, I just hope I didn't scare you off with being so forward. We did get intimate fast, but I want you to know I'd like to see you again. We can slow things way down. I'd like to pick you up in the morning and take you to work. Maybe get coffee? Before this message cut off, have a good night."

Saved.

Upon realizing I'd held my breath, I let out a huge exhalation and inhaled a cleansing one. I clutched the phone to my breast and tried to regulate my heart rate.

This is different.

I considered.

This can be good.

I reasoned.

We can make this work.

I determined.

I opened Chelz's text message.

Chelz: U really gotta call me before I send in the troops.

I sent her a quick message.

Me: Hi, Chelz. Had an amazing time with Matt. At work this morning. He picked me up at 5 a.m. and we had a coffee date. I think I'm falling in love. Not kidding!!!!"