Chapter Thirty Five

As I stood at the altar beside Chelz, I thought about the future with Matt. I pictured myself standing before him, reciting my vows. We would have our hands locked together, individually declaring our solemn oath to love one another until the day we part. A small group of family and friends would witness our union. We would only have the matron of honor, Chelsea, and his best man, whoever of the four I'd previously met would have that honor. Our nieces would leave a trail of flowers along the aisle, and my nephew would be the ring bearer. Being our second marriage, the ceremony would be understated, but no less beautiful and refined.

I was lost in my daydream when I heard everyone laughing. Dougie was amusing everyone with his vows. I looked over at Matt and found him smiling as he looked at the jubilant couple. I gave him a soft smile when he turned his gaze to me. He looked so handsome in his navy suit. I couldn't help but be proud to be his girl.

When I heard Chelsea begin her vows to Dougie, I affixed my sight on the happy couple. I had known how hard she'd worked to formulate the words she expressed as her solemn vow. I was grateful Chelz gifted us an embroidered handkerchief, using it to dab at my eyes as she professed her love and devotion to Dougie. I looked over at Matt and he looked misty-eyed too, and he hadn't known them as I had. When he smiled at me, I silently prayed to one day become his bride.

Knowing it was wishful thinking, I swallowed down my fantasy and listened to Father Anthony pronounce them man and wife.

I beamed at Chelz when I returned her bouquet. After a quick hug, she walked down the aisle, hand in hand, with Dougie. As practiced, I linked arms with Jeff, Dougie's brother, and best man. The procession of bride's maids and groomsmen followed behind us to the front entrance of the Catholic church where we were to be whisked off to the reception room at a grand hotel in Quincy. As we all climbed into the awaiting bridal limousines, I winked at Matt, waving to let him know I'd see him at the reception.

He mouthed the word, "Beautiful," which made me feel more radiant.

The wedding party was driven to Quincy Bay to take bridal party photos. Chelz and Dougie would remain for pictures with their family and as a couple. I was happy with the plan to return back to the hotel, anxious to give Matt a hug and a kiss after days of him being away for business. I wanted to hold him close, breathe in his scent, and feel the euphoria of his skin touching mine.

When the time came to leave for the reception, I practically sprinted to the limo. Sand clung to my legs as I sat through the ride to the hotel.

Chelz had paid for a two-bedroom suite to shower and make a dress change. I purchased a goddess design in Emerald. The heels were silver, strappy sandals. I fought the other bridesmaids to get in one of the two showers. I was courteous enough to shower in five minutes, rinsing away the sand on my legs. After toweling, cooling down, and moisturizing my face and body, I put on fresh makeup, much lighter than the coat of paint the makeup artist sprayed on my face. I put on the necklace Chelz had presented me as a maid of honor. My large topaz earrings pulled off the look. I released my curls from the up-do.

My hair was my veil, having it loose around my shoulders gave me the extra confidence I tended to lose when I was with Matt.

The excitement over seeing him was overwhelming. I had promised Keta that we'd go down to the reception together. I was ever so grateful to see Keta exit the bathroom, wrapped in a towel. I knew she would get dressed quickly because she hadn't washed away her makeup and her hair was a short, curly crop to the scalp. But when she pulled out the lotion and started making conversation, I had to bite my tongue from yelling at her to hurry up. I smiled and gave terse responses while she dressed and put on her heels. She slowly put on her accessories, adding lots of gold bangles and long, thin necklaces. She looked lovely when she finally finished dressing.