Chapter Twenty One

We arrived at my apartment. Throughout the commute, I had hoped there wouldn't be a parking spot. I wanted to leave him double parked, waiting for me outside. I would have run upstairs to pick up a couple of outfits for the next few nights and days. Fate was against me because there was a parking spot right in front of the three-storied house. I braced myself against his reaction. What would he think of my world?

Matt easily glided the Range Rover into the spot and parked. Before he went around the car to open the door for me as was his custom, I exited the vehicle with my house keys in hand to unlock the front door. I opened up my mailbox and retrieved my mail. He stepped up behind me and put his hands on my hips. A small shiver went down my spine as I opened up the front door.

I loved his touch, wishing it were skin to skin.

"Just a word of warning, my place is super small. Both of us may not fit in simultaneously, so please be prepared."

"So noted." He smiled. But even his smile couldn't take away the nerves of him seeing my modest room. In comparison to his place, mine was a hovel. "How long have you lived here?" he asked as we walked up the three stories.

"A little under a year. I found this place after six months of living at the Inn. Alice and Ross didn't want me to move to this area. It's not a bad neighborhood, but they'd hoped I would have an easier commute into the city. Taking a bus to the train is a lot. But this place is inexpensive and the community is quiet. They gave me some of the Inn's old furniture when they renovated some of the rooms. My landlady lives on the first level. She's very sweet. My neighbors are young professionals, so there aren't any wild parties happening." We arrived at my door at the very top of the building. I unlocked the door and switched on the light.

"Do come in!" I curtsied, feeling awkward about the whole experience.

He entered and I noted how he looked around the small space.

I'd painted the entire place white, adding a lot of green accents for a pop of color. I didn't have a lot of extra accessories, such as pictures or art hanging on the walls. There wasn't enough room for extra furniture. I never planned on living in the studio for very long, and personalizing it further made me feel like I settled into complacency.

All the necessities were in the small space: a twin bed; a nightstand with library books, alarm clock, and small lamp; a tall armoire for clothing storage; a tall dresser; a small, foldable round table and two folding chairs for eating.

"I would give you a tour, but what you see is what you get. I won't be long."

"Take your time. It's a nice place." He stood in the middle of the room with his hands on his hips. I couldn't imagine what he was thinking.

I went to my armoire and grabbed my leather weekend bag, purchased as a splurge from a local discount store. Leaving it on the bed unzipped and wide open, I grabbed a few mid-length skirts, a few tops, and a couple of dresses from the same armoire. I folded them, laying them on the bed to be packed. I pulled two pairs of flat shoes from underneath the armoire and laid them on the bottom of the bag. I walked over to the dresser and pulled out a few bras and matching panties, resisting the urge to sniff them as I'd previously done in Matt's presence. In another drawer, I grabbed a couple of t-shirts and yoga pants. I folded and neatly packed everything in the bag.

The quiet was palpable as I entered the bathroom to get my toiletries, combs, and an extra pack of my birth control for the new month. My period wasn't due for another couple of weeks, but I felt I needed to be prepared to just move in, by the way he was rushing things between us. When I exited, I saw him contemplating the apartment, which wasn't enough square footage to deeply consider.