Chapter Nine

"Fuck!" He growled when he heard the third ring of the phone. He withdrew the inch of himself out of me, leaping off of me. Taking his phone from the nightstand, he looked at the caller id. After answering gruffly, the conversation volleyed back and forth. I tried not to listen in on the call. I rose up and covered my bare breasts with my arms, feeling a chill and my flesh bristled.

He looked at me and smiled slightly. His eyes were no longer dark with a hunger for me, but gentle and apologetic for the interruption. I smiled reassuringly. He turned away from me, his muscular buttocks inches away from my face. I covered myself with the blankets we'd slept under together but apart.

This is not the time to bite his assI reasoned with myself.

He walked around the bed, and I saw his erection had deflated. Even in its flaccid state, he was blessed. He'd taken off the condom, which informed me there would be no sex. I grabbed my bra and proceeded to put it on. I stood up and found the t-shirt on the floor, covering myself.

Pulling out drawers, he retrieved underwear and socks from one and scrub tops and bottoms from another. He tucked the contents under his arm while still talking to the caller.

When I finally started listening in on the conversation, I heard Dashing say, "I'll be there in twenty." He hung up the phone and threw it on the bed. He turned to me and said, "I've gotta go to the hospital. I have to do rounds. One of my patients has a fever this morning and we're concerned about infection . . ."

"Oh, I'll get dressed and leave," I said standing up, looking around for my dress and shoes.

"No, I don't want you to leave," he replied quickly.

"What?" I shook my head, thinking I'd misheard.

"I want you to stay. I'll be back in a couple of hours. We can have lunch when I get back. Make yourself at home. I have to shower and run." He walked into the primary bathroom just beside my side of the bed.

What could I say to his request?

No, I can't stay. I have a lot of things to do: laundry, cleaning my tiny studio apartment and catching up on sleep because I woke up way earlier than I ever do on my one day off a month.

I had intended to do absolutely nothing important today.

And while staying at his place to get guaranteed sex was tempting, if he left now, my feeling of sexual liberation would be shattered.

Without my dress in sight, I put on my panties and sat on the bed, waiting for him to exit the bathroom.

Many minutes after the shower turned off, he walked out of the bathroom dressed in crisp scrubs, looking so delectable with his damp hair and beard. I wondered if I'd have the courage to rip them off of him when he returned. To stay out of his way, I remained on the bed, anticipating further instructions.

"Make yourself at home. I'll be back as soon as I'm done. The TV remote is right there. You can have anything in the fridge." He grabbed his wallet. "My phone?" Flustered, he looked around the room. I reached over and handed him his phone, which he'd thrown down on the bed. He leaned over me and gave me a strong kiss on the lips. Yet, I didn't get to say goodbye to his tongue. It would've been too much of a distraction. "Lock the door behind me," he ordered.

Following him to the door, I remained in a daze after the passionate time we had together. I couldn't speak to say goodbye. He turned and kissed me again, placing his forehead on mine for a few glorious seconds and planting one last kiss. I closed the door and turned the bolt lock.