ii - wizard's chess with the fam

After the news spread about Oliver and I spending the day together in Hogsmeade, people pretty much assumed that we were dating. But, we hadn't actually had that full conversation yet. It was obvious to both of us that we liked each other as more than just friends, but I personally was worried about the dynamic change within our friend group and had the fear that if we broke up I would lose him and my other friends. But, currently we were in what I liked to call our honeymoon phase.

Oliver walked me to all of my classes and we always sat by each other during meals, though neither of these things were out of the ordinary. But, I kept wearing his quidditch jumpers that had his name on the back and we held hands everywhere we went. We take late night strolls to the Astronomy Tower and hung out at Hogsmeade every other weekend. I took to snuggling into his side when we were sat in the common room and he simply acted as though it was normal, resting his chin on my head and rubbing his hand up and down my arm. 

Pretty much everyone in Gryffindor house thought we were the "it" couple. I mean, the quidditch captain and his star Chaser, his right hand girl? The girl who was friends with the entire school and her best friend since First Year? The most attractive boy in Fifth Year and the girl who's grades were too high for her to stay in her own year? The kind, teenage heartthrobs who ended up falling for each other. It was almost like a novel how perfect it was. Their friends were all excited for them and completely saw it coming. But, some people didn't really care for it.

"Oh come on," I sighed, trailing after the two Second Years. Ron and Harry refused to turn around, their head held high in refusal. "Why don't you like Oliver?"

"No, I like Wood," Ron called out to me, still not turning as he walked quickly ahead. "I just don't like Wood with you."

"Harry?" I tried. He shook his head, his short black hair bouncing around his glasses. 

"Nope," he agreed. 

"Why," I groaned, dragging the word out. I jogged up in front of them, tired of chasing them around the castle. They stopped abruptly, frowns etched on their faces. "We're best friends. We're good for each other."

"No, you're not," Ron insisted. "I know you Mara. You're not going to work out."

I quirked an eyebrow. "Why? Why won't we work out?"

The two boys exchanged a knowing look before moving to walk around me. I stopped them, holding my hands out and grabbing their shoulders. I gave them a pointed look and they both sighed. 

"Look, Mars," Ron started. 

"We don't want to offend you," Harry continued. 

"But, we just can't see you and Wood working out. You're both too headstrong, you'd get in a single argument and that would be the end of your relationship," Ron explained, gesticulating with his arms held out as he spoke. Harry stared at him, comprehending what my brother had just said before nodding. He shoved his hands in his pockets awkwardly as I watched his movements, Ron watching mine. 

"We just don't want you getting hurt," he decided timidly, staring down at his feet. Ron copied his actions before looking up again and offering a small, honest smile. 

I sighed and crouched down to be at the boys' level. I placed one hand on each of their shoulders and smiled at them softly. 

"Look, I appreciate your concern. I really do. But, you have to trust me on this. I've known Oliver for a long time and though we've argued, we've always gotten past it. I really like him and he likes me too. Can you please just tell me that you'll stop staring at us with those damn annoying puppy glares?" I asked. Ron and Harry looked at each other again, silently conversing. They both turned back to me with heavy sighs, nodding slowly. I smiled. "Thank you boys."