iv - the three champions

"Sit down please. And now the moment you've all been waiting for, the champions selection!" Albus called, circling the aisle where the Goblet was stood.

Everyone went quiet as he approached the Goblet, its wild blue flames suddenly easing into a red. They blew out around it, spitting out a burning piece of parchment that Albus plucked from the air. He pulled it open, his eyes scanning over the ink. 

"And the Durmstrang champion is... Viktor Krum!" He yelled, receiving a chorus of cheering from the crowd of students. Viktor grinned, allowing himself to be pulled up by another Durmstrang boy and walking up to Albus.

"Of course he was picked," I whispered annoyedly to Diana, rolling my eyes as I clapped slowly.

"Well, he's got a good chance on winning," she replied with a shrug, her eyes following him as she clapped much more eagerly than I, but still not too excitedly. Krum took his parchment and made his way to Albus' office where he was being ushered.

"When did you become the optimist?" Cedric asked, quirking an eyebrow at her. 

"Oh trust me, I'm not. I just don't share the same immense hatred Mara seems to have for him," she answered with a light laugh, turning to me. "You know, you're going to have to learn to get along with him. I've heard he's planning on asking out Hermione."

"Not on my watch," I muttered as Albus caught another piece of parchment, this one folded delicately with ribbons on the edge. 

"The champion from Beauxbatons... Fleur Delacour!" He called, everyone cheering for her. I watched the Head Girl of Beauxbatons stand with a graceful smile. I clapped louder for her, whooping as she passed me. She laughed and smiled at me, offering a slight wave as she walked up to Albus and accepted her paper before following Krum.

The fire buzzed again, spinning into a red burst of flame and spitting out a last piece of torn parchment. Albus read it quickly, his eyes coming up to meet mine. My heart began beating quicker and I wiped my hands on my skirt, waiting for him to call out the name. 

It couldn't have been me, could it have?

"The Hogwarts champion..."

It seemed as though the whole hall waited in anticipation. 

"Cedric Diggory!"

Me and Diana were on our feet, yelling and whooping and clapping and cheering loudly as I pulled Cedric off the bench and onto his feet. He laughed as the whole hall cheered louder than it had before, making his way to Albus and taking his paper. He followed after the other champions. 

"Excellent! We now have our three champions! But in the end only one will go down in history. Only one will hoist this chalice of champions, this vessel of victory the tri-wizard cup!" Albus called in finale, everyone beginning to chatter and cheer again at the conclusion of his words. 

And then the fire began to glow red again.

Severus seemed to be the first one to notice, rising to his feet quickly as he stared at it with utter confusion, Minnie following after him as Albus spun around to face it once more. 

"What in the bloody hell?" I mumbled, watching it with furrowed brows. I glanced at Diana. "What's going on?"

"I don't know, but I doubt it's good," she replied. "Nothing abnormal at this school ever is."

Its flames spiraled upwards, producing yet another piece of charred parchment. Albus snatched it from the air, analyzing it quickly. He mumbled something under his breath, but I couldn't hear him. 

He spun around, glancing around the room rapidly, his eyes narrowed sharply.

"Harry Potter?" He called, scanning the crowd again.