iii - slumber parties

"That damned Dursley," I muttered as I walked alongside Harry. He threw his head back, huffing.

"It's not even fair! He didn't sign it because Marge was there and then I was at the Ministry! I didn't have a chance to sign it!" He exclaimed. Minnie walked briskly ahead of us into the courtyard where the other Third Years were waiting.

"Quiet Potter. You don't have a signed permission form, therefore you cannot go," she told him.

"You could sign it!" He said, the hope returning to his eyes. She turned around with an exasperated sigh.

"Only a parent or guardian can sign and given that I am neither it would be entirely inappropriate!" She replied. Harry's shoulders slumped and she sighed, looking at the boy with sympathy in her eyes. "I'm sorry, Potter."

She walked to the front of the group of thirteen-year-old's and Hermione and Ronald waited towards the back, watching Harry for any sign of whether or not they should stay.

"I'll see you guys later," he told them.

"I'll bring you back some sweets from Honeyduke's," Ron promised as they began backing up. Their faces were etched with sympathy, but I knew they also wanted to go to Hogsmeade.

"Bye Harry," Hermione said with a wave and they turned slowly to follow after the Third Years.

"I'm sorry," I told him, turning to the disappointed boy. His shoulders slumped and his eyes fell to the floor. "I'll stay with you if you'd like."

"No, that's alright. I don't want you to have a terrible weekend just because of me," he said. 

"It won't be a terrible weekend," I replied. "Because I'll be spending it with you. Come on, I have someone I think you'd like to talk to."

He followed me as we walked through the halls silently, his eyes squinted in confusion as I entered a familiar classroom.

"We're at Professor Lupin's classroom?" Harry said, questioning my intentions. I nodded eagerly. 

"Nice observation, kid," I chuckled. He rolled his eyes.

"Well, what are we doing here?" He asked belligerently. 

"At least have some faith in me, Harry. Professor Lupin has got some answers to a lot of questions you have. Like, why he jumped in front of you for the dementor, or what your parents were like," I said simply. His eyebrows jumped up emphatically.

"He knew my parents?" He said.

"Well sure. He knew mine too," I replied. I pushed open the door to his office. "Good morning, Professor!"

"Mara, Harry! What are you two doing here? Isn't there a Hogsmeade trip today?" Lupin asked with a smile and furrowed eyebrows. 

"Yes, but my uncle decided to not sign my permission slip, so I'm stuck here all year," Harry said sassily, the annoyance evident in his tone.

"So, to take his mind off of things, we've decided to take a walk. Would you care to join?" I asked. I gave him a look that I hoped read 'tell him about his parents', but I could only hope I got my point across. Lupin smiled and nodded. 

"Sounds wonderful," he agreed, following us out of the room.

Eventually, we ended up on the bridge that led out to the border of the grounds, strolling calmly in the gorgeous weather. 

"Don't feel too bad, Harry. I was roundly disappointed when I first went," Lupin told the Third Year.

"Really?" Harry and I asked in unison. I stared at the man as if he'd grown another head; Hogsmeade was absolutely amazing, how could he not enjoy it?