iii - ratman

Yet another professor was standing in the doorway, but this time it was our Potion's Master. Harry, Ron, and Hermione's faces morphed into concern once more, and knowing the troubles they've had with him I could understand why.

"Snape!" I exclaimed in relief. He glanced at me before returning to Sirius.

"Oh, vengeance is sweet. I hoped I'd be the one to catch you," he mused in his traditional Snape drawl.

"Severus," Lupin tried, stepping forward, but Snape just pointed his wand at him, causing Lupin to step back once more.

"I told Dumbledore you were helping an old friend into the castle and now, here's the proof," he said, fully entering the room and keeping his wand pointed at the two men standing opposite him. They moved until Snape was standing in front of us, all of us stepping back to allow space, with the other two on the other side of the room.

"Brilliant Snape," Sirius said. "Once again you put your keen and penetrating mind to the task and as usual come to the wrong conclusion. Now, if you'll excuse us, Remus and I have some business to attend to."

Sirius stalked closer to Snape before Snape whipped his wand to be pointed directly into his throat. Remus paused, watching in fear, but I just shifted my weight from leg to leg in annoyance.

"Would you care to explain what that business is?" I asked, quirking an eyebrow at the man. All three men's eyes flashed to me in confusion and shock as I rested my hand on my hip, nodding at him. "You really haven't told us yet what is actually going on. And frankly, I'm quiet interested."

"Well, if you could get your dear professor off of me, I'd be happy to," Sirius told me with gritted teeth, glaring at Snape.

"Oh, give me a reason, I beg you," Snape seethed.

"Severus, don't be a fool," Remus said, the anxiety in his voice evident as Snape pushed his wand further into Sirius' neck.

"He can't help it, it's already happened by now," Sirius muttered.

"Be quiet Sirius," Remus told him.

"Oh, quiet yourself Remus!" Sirius said.

"Oh, look at you two, quarrelling like an old married couple," Snape said, Remus looking away in annoyance. Sirius glared at Snape.

"Why don't you run along and play with your chemistry set?" He seethed.

"Sirius, you have a problem," I said exasperatedly. "This man has his wand to your throat and you still feel the need to insult him?"

"Oh, shut it Mara, he's a right greasy git and you know it," Sirius rebutted, glancing at me with a roll of his eyes. "He won't do it. He wouldn't."

"I could do it, you know-" Snape started, but I cut him off.

"I wouldn't call him the greasy one, mate. Have you seen yourself?" I asked, crinkling my nose in disgust. He looked at me with his jaw dropped open in disbelief.

"Are you jabbing at my hair? I've been in prison for twelve years-"

"No, you were in prison for twelve years. You've been escaped now for about a year," I noted with a nod as he looked at me with even more shock.

"Like father like daughter," he muttered as Snape turned back to him, the annoyance written clearly on his face.

"Can we finish this?" He asked forcefully, shooting a glare in my direction. I raised my arms up in defense. "Come along, Black. You first. I'm sure the Dementors are longing to see you."

He gestured for Sirius to leave the room, but before he could, Harry stepped forward with his wand raised at Sirius. We all watched him carefully, Snape obviously not opposed to Harry taking him himself. Suddenly, Harry turned his wand to Snape.