iii - every day life

"I heard we're learning about Boggarts today," Diana whispered next to me as we stood in the center of our Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom.

"That's Third Year material, isn't it?" I asked. She shrugged.

"Sure, but even the Seventh Years did it. I think Lupin is trying to make up for what Quirrell didn't teach us," she said. 

"That'll be a lot," I laughed. She nodded and giggled along with me. 

In the front of the room stood a tall wardrobe that was violently shaking. Lupin paced the front of the classroom slowly, analyzing our faces. I saw Nat perk up when his eyes grazed across her and onto the students surrounding her. She straightened her shoulders, puffed up her chest, and smiled way too sweetly at my godfather/professor. I grimaced, pointing her out to Diana. She made a disgusted look, her lips dipping down into a grossed-out frown as I pretended to gag. She looked at me and laughed quietly. 

"Intriguing, isn't it? Would anyone like to venture a guess as to what's inside?" Lupin asked the class. 

Natasha raised her hand and he nodded to her. 

"A grindylow, Sir?" She asked, blinking her eyelashes. Lupin knew exactly what she was doing and refused to look at her as he began to reply to her, but I kind of beat him to it.

"Definitely not a grindylow," I blurted out. "They live in water, not in wardrobes."

A couple kids laughed and Natasha flushed pink at my comment. Lupin quirked an eyebrow at me, an amused smile playing at his lips. 

"Correct, Mara. But, can you identify what really is in the wardrobe?" He prompted. I shrugged. 

"That's a Boggart, Sir," I told him. Sure, Diana had just told me, but it did make some sense. Boggarts were creatures that you couldn't see because they changed shape based on whatever you were afraid of. You could counter it, but it still would not take its original shape. So, it would make sense that he'd keep it in a cabinet. They're highly aggressive creatures as well, so letting it out to just hang around would cause some problems. They're also incredibly independent, which gives way to it hitting the sides of the cabinet - it wanted to be free.

"Correct!" He affirmed. "Does anyone know what a Boggart looks like?"

No one replied and I waited in silence. Of course, I knew the answer, but I didn't want to answer two times in a row. 

"Mara?" He asked me. I sighed. 

"Nobody knows. They're shapeshifters and they take the form of whatever the person in front of them is scared of. That's why they are so terrifying," I answered. 

"Yes! Luckily, a very simple charm exists to repel the Boggart. Without wands, please. Repeat after me... Riddikulus!" He called. 

"Riddikulus!" The class chanted. I refrained, as even without a wand I could cause some problems. I could see Hazel and Natasha giggling at me from the corner of my eye, but I tried to pay them no mind. 

"Good, good. However, the incantation is not what truly finishes a Boggart. What you need is laughter. Here, Roger!"

Roger Davies looked at him incredulously before walking up to the wardrobe upon Lupin's insistent waving. "Yes?"

"What do you fear the very most?" Lupin asked. 

"The very most?" Roger repeated. 

"Yes, the very most," Lupin nodded. Roger thought for a few moments. 

"Monkeys," he decided. The class laughed and he grinned at us. 

"Okay, now you're a quidditch player, yes?" He asked.